[PCB_FORUM] Re: System requirements for 15.2

  • From: Paul_Keefe@xxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 18:05:33 -0400

    I have a single 2.8 ghz with 2 gb of memory and two 21" monitors in my
office laying out similar boards with
900 "matched" diff pairs and many positive shapes. The lag between my home
1ghz / 1gb of memory is so bad
that I spend more time in work. I don't really wait to often but I also
try to add the planes in at the end of the layout.
The dual monitor setup is so good I'll never go back to just one. Whether
using CM to highlight nets, groups
or Concept to crossprobe between it and Allegro. We started with one 21"
and an old 17" monitor and liked it so much
we invested in another 21".

Paul Keefe

george.h.patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: icu-pcb-forum-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/19/2005 05:44 PM
Please respond to
icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[PCB_FORUM] Re: System requirements for 15.2

I have a dual 2.66 GHz Xeons w/ 2 GB of memory.  I still get lags on large
boards with lots of planes.  I am going to try 3 GB of memory (the most I
can stick in it), but there was almost NO improvement from 1 GB to 2, so I
don't think that's going to help :(

There are some differential pairs that have a 20 second lag in them from
the time I start sliding to the time they actually move.

Sure would be nice if Cadence would multi-thread Allegro so it could
actually USE both processors.  It's going to get worse as Intel switches
to multi-core processors instead of increasing bus speeds.
--
George Patrick
Tektronix, Inc.