[icon-discuss] Re: Docking for the Braille plus

  • From: "John Esak" <john@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 06:32:16 -0400

Jenny,
Excellent response and clarification of the different development cycles for
the Icon and Braille Plus. I didn't know there was a lag in the startup of
the relationship between APH and Levelstar. It explains it all.   Well done,
communication like yours instantly clears up threads that go all over the
place inventing reasons and intentions that aren't there.

I read Michael Barber's message with interest also. I must have passed him
like ships in the night at the CSUN 3 years ago. I almost bought the Icon
right on the spot and didn't care that keyboard/docking station wasn't quite
out yet.  I just didn't have the money then. :-)  The reason I mention his
comment is that this 3 years has gone by very quickly, too quickly in fact,
and all it has done Is produce fantastic units in the Icon, Braille Plus and
Docking Station.  The time would have gone by anyway, with or without any
development and all I can say is the new Docking Station is WORTH the
wait... any wait.

But, I must tell you, I have found something I would really like in it that
isn't there now, and if you have the ability to change this for the release
of the APH version... well heck, go for it. I myself have already added the
feature. <smile>  And, if this is the only thing I could think of to improve
the package... you can take my word for it, this has been a sensational
release all around.  Of course, it might not be possible to add at the start
of your release since an initial order quantity has probably already arrived
on this piece.  In which case, maybe it can be adjusted in the next
release...  and it is on the case, the feature that is... it isn't there...
or wasn't until I put it there.  Okay, okay, I'll stop being so wordy and
long winded. <smile>

No I won't, one more setup description.  The Docking Station's case is one
of it's  most wonderful features. The thought and design that went into it
are fantastic. It has little access flaps allowing you to reach any
interface to the Icon while it is in the case. There is really almost no
reason to take the unit out of this beautiful leather home... except... and
God, I almost feel like this is such a "gnit" I shouldn't even be mentioning
it.  But, okay, okay... when you want to plug the Docking Station (and
thereby the Icon inside it) into the A/C Mains, (the wall power that is) to
either charge the unit... you must take 1/2 second to lift the flap which
goes over the carrying handle and lay the case out flat.  There is no hole
in the leather case to get to the power jack while the unit is fully closed
up. See, like I said a gnit.  But, I like taking the icon back and forth to
work with me... and I often don't use it one place or the other, but would
like to keep it charging. Instead of just being able to let it sit there in
its wonderfully small footprint when closed taking a charge, it has to be
opened slightly long enough to plug the power chord in.  :-)

I totally fixed this desire which may be on my part alone by simply punching
out a hole (with the proper leather tool) at exactly the right place on the
carrying case.  Now, I can't think of anything else I would change on the
DS. That was easy, wasn't it?

Actually, I've been so long winded because I wanted only the interested
parties to read on this long... because if this was important to them also,
I wanted them to know that I would *never* cut this case anywhere for any
reason if I didn't know exactly what I was doing and have *exactly* the
right size punch and etc.

And, if the extra hole could be added on the next quantity of cases
ordered.... I think people would appreciate it.  If you're using the unit,
there is absolutely no need for this little hole, but if you just want to
leave the unit closed up and charge it while it is in that shape... you need
the opening. And in case anyone wants to say this was some sort of terrible
oversight... ridiculous... it is a big bugaboo I have with *every* laptop
case manufacturer as well.  Hey, should I stop talking now? <He hears the
resounding YES! As he adds his name and presses the Send button.)

John Esak

P.s. No, just kidding, no P S.... I do have a wry sense of humor at least...
does this make up for long winded? :-)