[ian-reeds-games] Re: Some thoughts on turns and rounds

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 16:13:07 -0700

Hey Allan,

Wow, great stuff.  That helps me wrap my head around it a bit better.

I'll need to put some more thought into how we can support all those various types of modifiers.

Allan said: In your chance of success, you would have to decide if an attribute would give a modifier or be the modifier

I say: It might be possible to support both scenarios.
If I have a point that is strength = 18.
Then we could add some new type to the game that is a calculated point.
So a calculated point called attac roll would equal 4 if the strength point is 18. And the calculated point would have some small amount of math or ranges that specify 18 = 4, 12 through 14 = 0, 10 = -1. Then map creators could reference either strength or attack roll as a modifier since both are points, one is just calculated off the other.

Allan said: I liked the idea of a "critical" success or failure. That was sheer brilliance. I say: I agree, sheer brilliance, but I can't take credit for it. Dark actually outlined that idea a couple months ago when we were discussing how an RPG maker would work.
It's been in the back of my mind for a while.

I've got a lot of thinking to determine how all those various types of modifiers can easily be put into the game, but it gives me a great reference for all the possibilities. I'll keep the email for later reference when I get closer to it and more of the foundation has been built.

Now on to your turns and rounds email:
You said: So that means there can be any number of rounds in a turn, depending on number of teams playing, right? I say: Actually any number of turns in a round, and yes it depends on the number of teams playing.

You said: round 2
al turn blaze fizzles at end of al's turn.
Did I get that right?

I say: Almost, it fizzles at the beginning of your turn rather than the end.

So a longer example with 4 teams and I am the second team:
Round 1:
team 1 turn
Ian's turn, casts blaze which has a duration of 1
team 3 turn
team 4 turn
Round 2:
Team 1 turn