[ian-reeds-games] Re: Another draft version of my map pack and Re: Multiplayer

  • From: Craig Brett <craigbrett17@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:05:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi Allan,

That sounds pretty rough, hope you're all better soon (or by now). There's a lot of nasty bugs going around here in the UK (though it's entirely possible you live here too).

I don't blame you, the Death Star test will hopefully eventually turn into a pretty cool boss map. You won't have to kill it outright, don't worry! I'm thinking just the Ties that come in later on. But I'm not even sure about that, yet. Then... well then you have to go into the trench.

No, you're not supposed to be able to attack Tie Fighters with the standard main gun of the cruisers. I'm going to change that from an attack to a turbo laser cannon of some kind so it's a bit more plain. The cruisers use anti-fighter flak on fighters that share the same space as them. This flak uses a different action type to normal, since it's all done automatically by computers and stuff. Cruisers could fight fighters and large vessels at once. This will be even better if/when random comes in, if I can make flak hard to hit but very damaging if it does.

I tried your Starship battles campaign. It looks fun! I can't beat any missions yet, it just means I have to try harder lol. I like the amount of different actions you can perform. There's a fair amount of strategy that could go into a battle, except, it would seem, from me.

The new not moving until seen thing will come in handy for me I'd imagine. I'll give it a try if ever I get some free time :) Good work Ian.

Regarding multiplayer, as much as it would be cool, I feel as if it would add a huge new dimension to things. Maps will go from simply getting around AI challenges to trying to keep things either evenly balanced or in some way fun for both players. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it would involve whole new map packs needing to be written as well as the code.

Which model would we want for multiplayer: A single server somewhere where people connect and challenge each other or look for random opponents, or a person to person connection where you type in the IP of another player to connect to directly? The second is the one that was requested in the original feature request, but there's definite bonuses to having a central place for everyone to connect. Something to think about. From an audio games perspective, to compare the two approaches, Swamp uses a server approach whilst Top Speed used a person to person approach.

I hope you're all well,

Craig