[ian-reeds-games] Re: Some thoughts on randomized numbers

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 13:50:28 -0700

Did I send this?  I think I forgot and it doesn't show up in my sent box.

Allan, you are correct on how the chance of percent would work. It is a percent chance out of 100%. I'm glad you liked the first 3. They seem the most clear cut and we will get a lot of benefit from those even without percentages.
I appreciate your thoughts on the percentage stuff as well.
I can definitely do a chance_of_success_mod that let's you add 5% to the chance of success.
In the early stages it would add it for all skills.
Once I make it so you can apply the modifier to a specific skill then you could say it only improves your chance of using the attack skill. (This was one of Carlos original top 3.) Making it so it only improves it for the attack skill and only if you are attacking weasels is a step further and I'm not sure exactly how to solve that yet, but it's down the road a bit.
You'll definitely be able to apply negative modifiers.

Carlos, that's how I felt, pretty tired last night. I'm sure we'll get some good feedback once their implemented.
Hadi, glad you'll like them as well.

I'm feeling pretty good about the randomized numbers now.

I could call the chance_of_success= flag just chance=.
I started thinking about it as chance of success because I realize there will also need to be a chance_of_critical type flag. This is down the road, but I think it will actually be that there is a chance for the skill to succeed and if it does succeed then it does all it's normal damage.
Then you would be able to add a chance of causing effects to happen.
This would probably be added to the existing effects= flags with 100% chance being the default.
Something like effects=poison|50%
Then you could have poisoned weapons that only have a chance of actually inflicting poison.
Then I may need to add the ability for an effect to cause initial damage.
This way you could have a critical effect that causes it's bonus damage, but only has a 5% chance of being applied. It would also have duration=-1. That's a negative 1 to indicate that it does not last at all but instantly disappears after doing initial damage.

Just some thoughts, down the road though.