[ian-reeds-games] Re: Responses and an update

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:23:35 -0500

Thanks Ian and Zak for your help!

When it comes to rpg games, I much prefer a turn based mode. It is how table
top games are played, and I enjoy that way of doing such games. Real time too
many times feels like an arcade game to me, and even when I could see, I didn't
really like it for rpg like games.
However, carlos is right. Multiplayer is probably better when it is real time.
The thing is, that would be like two whole diffrent games, wouldn't it?

I havne't played toc nor sound rts, but have played entombed. Consdiering it's
huge success despite some flaws, a single player rpg that is turn based is not
a bad thing.

Entombed uses menus for everything. In some cases this makes life easy, such as
going thru town, shopping at stores, going thru inventory, or equipping
equipment. It also does this for fighting, which is perfectly acceptable, but I
wouldn't want that to be the only way to fight combat since a menu driven
system might be faster, but it is  also less tactical.

I guess in entombed wandering around would be considered real time. Your group
is the cursor, so to speak, and you move thru the dungeon as a group. There is
random wandering monsters, random treasures and the like.

Entombed doesw a lot of things well, but also could use some serious
improvement.