[ian-reeds-games] Responses and an update

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:13:56 -0700

Hey all,

Just thought I'd catch up on a few responses and give a small update.

Austen, I got some errors while loading the bonus map in Kingdom at war. Let me know when all the maps can be started without errors so I can mark it as stable and include it in the next full release. Also, the Santa's gone mad maps have the getting started user guide rather than their own.

Zak, I've added your 5 items to my list, but let me respond to them individually here: 1 Already planned and a good idea. I've been caught up with a lot of other things lately, this is on my list for near term though. 2 Yep, this is a good one and it's been on my list for a bit. Austen originally suggested it. I still want to play Time of Conflict so I can get a good feel for how they handle this as a user experience.
Carlos sent me a good email about how TOC works and I need to read it again.
The volume versus capacity flags are good. I wasn't sure which words to use for those flags, but hadn't put a lot of thought into it yet. Allan's suggestions of weight capacity as carry and weight flags is also good as it thinks of it in a different way. Though I imagine most games would only need one type and so both could be handled with capacity/volume.
Some day when I do the RPG Maker I could see people using both types.
I'm open to discussion about how to handle announcing of units within units and how to handle hot keys for working with them. The archers in boats, snipers in helicopters and units on horseback are all interesting as I had not thought about them still being useable while in a containing unit.

3 Good point and an easy one to implement.  I'll try to get it in near term.
4 This is a very interesting one. I'll look into it, at first glance I thought it would give a lot of flexibility with not too much effort on my part but as I thought more I think it would give a lot of unexpected results so I'm not sure for the near term. On my list now though. 5 Yep, this is one of Craig's top 3. Specifically it is for not being allowed to use a certain skill on certain units. To add to this it would be interesting to say a unit is immune to specific effects which allows skills to still be used on them but certain effects would be blocked.
Like using a poison skill on a poison cloud would do nothing to it.

Allan, I use a wiki like format called mark down for writing my user guides.
Then I use a tool called pandoc for converting them from mark down to HTML.
I usually delete the mark down files to reduce confusion for people looking at the user guide in the files list but if you go into the getting started maps you can find a User Guide.md file which is what it looks like before pandoc converts it.
Have a look at that files format to see how easy it is.
Then have a look at pandoc or perhaps edsharp has an easy way to convert mark down to HTML. I can help with an explanation of how to do the conversion later if you use mark down, but don't have the time right this instant.

Craig, I've noted the bug you mentioned today.
Also, that's a great list of supported screen readers.
I actually think I am polling the SAPI synthesizer in the current code.
So definitely either a callback event when the speech is finished/cancelled or the possibility of polling to find out should both work.

Zak, just saw your last email about the negative range bonus bug.
Allan pointed this bug out a while ago and is still waiting for me to fix it. Sorry Allan. I'll try to fit it in soon along with a number of other bugs I'm going to look at.

Everyone, I've been working on random damage and scripting.
I'm going to leave out the percentage damage for now but we can still do it in the future.
Probably going to do the simple version of chance soon as well.
I also have a few bugs and other small items I wanted to go through in the near term.

Well that's it.  Sounds like the maps are getting better and better.

Cheers,