[ian-reeds-games] Re: Responses and an update

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:54:08 -0700

Hey Zak and all,

Interesting that just moving onto a transport unit entered it in TOC.
Since I allow multiple units on a single tile I'd probably need to go with the load / unload scenario like SoundRTS.

SoundRTS has flying machines? That sounds awesome! I played it 2 or 3 years ago so I'm sure it's improved a lot since then.

Since you've played all 3, sound RTS, TOC and TB I'd be interested to hear what you like and dislike about each.
And the same goes for anyone else who's played each of them.

TB and TOC seem the most similar to me, though there are obviously differences in how turns are played out.

I was going for an experience where each player can go at their own pace with TB and have as much time as they want to decide what to do.
TOC seems to do the same.
SoundRTS on the other hand is real time which adds an interesting element to it, especially for multiplayer. When I first played it though I felt like it was still difficult to discern what was happening when multiple things were going on at once.
That was a long time ago though.

I've also gathered that Aprone's next project is going to be a first person, real time, online role playing game, potentially with allies you can command.
Sounds like World of Warcraft to me.
He's really pushing the envelope and it sounds pretty cool but I do think there are still gamer's who prefer the ability to take their time to choose which actions to perform.

I plan on doing an RPG Maker after TB but I expect it will be single player with turn based combat. It will possibly have real time dungeon and town exploration, though creators will have the choice to have menu or grid based town and dungeons as well. The combat will be TB combat, and eventually Final Fantasy or Entombed style as an alternative based on what the creator chooses.

What do you guys think about each of the games?
I'm interested to hear your opinions and preferences on gameplay mechanics and the pros and cons of each.
Just go easy on my artificial intelligence, it's a sore spot, smile.

Cheers,