[homeclinic] Homeclinic'ers, Here's Your DRSNews!

  • From: Dave Harnish <drs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:54:30 -0600

The DRSNews
December 2004
Merry Christmas!
Hi Homeclinic'ers!

By Subscription Only
Published by Dave?s Repair Service, All Rights Reserved
You are currently subscribed with email address:

==> homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Unsubscribe instructions are at the end of this newsletter.)

You're welcome to forward this newsletter to friends, and
to invite them to sign up! Just send them to:
www.DavesRepair.com
***************************************
A Special Welcome to our new subscribers!

Note: to ensure this newsletter gets through all the ?spam? filtering
now in use, I recommend that you add my address to your email
program?s address book: drs@xxxxxxxxxx (In Outlook Express,
just right -click on the subject line, then click 'add sender to address
book')

In this issue:

1) Electronic Control Range Error 'F' Codes
2) Your Christmas Present! You MAY open before 12-25!)

1) Last month we talked about calibrating temperatures in
'analog' ovens, so I thought it only fair to mention some of the
issues with electronically controlled, 'digital' ones this month.

One of the built-in features of these microprocessor controllers
is error detection. Most errors are reported and displayed in
the display as 'F' codes, and these codes are really helpful in
figuring out where to start in diagnosing your oven's problem.

Early 'EOC' ('electronic oven control') ranges used only 9 or
10 of these codes, and were fairly simple compared to those
being manufactured today. But the basic 'F' codes have
remained pretty well standard, and even if you don't know what
the 'complete' code might mean, you can use these to at least
get to the general area of the problem.

These codes are just the letter 'F' followed by a number, that
appears in your oven's display when there's trouble. Often
accompanied by beeping, these usually require attention before
the oven can be used.

Many newer codes are 4 digits, with the second pair of
characters narrowing the problem down more specifically.
There are so many of these now depending on range brand,
there's not space to cover them all in this article, but here are
the most common two digit codes:

*F0 - Failed transistor in control (replace control)

*F1 - Again, internal failure on earlier models

(Note - many of the earlier Maytag products (Magic Chef,
JennAire, a few others) threw an *intermittent* 'F1' code,
accompanied by annoying, persistent beeping. For whatever
reason, this often happened through the night, and the first few I
saw drove me to distraction because there were no service bulletins
from the manufacturer on this until it had been happening for a
while (Fun!). Anyway, in these cases, the keypad will have failed.

One key will usually 'leak' just enough current to trick and 'confuse'
the processor into this error code. This problem has become pretty
famous by now, as it was widespread - and I still see it from time
to time. (Unplug the membrane keypad's connector to diagnose
this on most models).

*F2 - Oven temp went too high - exceeded 590F without door locked,
or 990F with it locked (On newer models, indicates a shorted keypad -
we call it a 'stuck key' code. As above, unplugging the keypad
connector will help with diagnosis)

Other F2 causes can be:
*high resistance connection in sensor circuit - This is one I see a lot,
and like an F3, can be caused by solder cracks on the board. I've
soldered literally hundreds of these since their introduction, and
always have to smile at the manufacturers' literature that tells us
these boards aren't serviceable.
*Sensor exposed to a temperature of 40F or lower (I haven't seen
this one yet, but I'm told it happens on downdraft units with short
vent runs and a vent damper that doesn't seal well.)
* Interference from cordless phones (Have seen this one, especially
with earlier phones - usually when the phone was very close to the
range), ham radios, etc. It seems the board's wiring harness acts as
an antenna in these cases. The harness should be run as close to the
chassis (ground) as possible to prevent this.
* Moisture or grease accumulation causing current leakage across
sensor pins on board (I have yet to see this one, but I'm sure it
happens)

*F3 - This used to be the most common code, and indicates an open
or ground in the sensor circuit. Either the sensor itself is open, or a
harness connection, thermal fuse (some use one in the harness), or
(most commonly) solder cracks on the board at the pins that the
sensor plugs into. Early sensors were a common source of this problem,
but their reliability seems to have come a long way. I don't see nearly
the numbers of sensor failures that I used to. Normal resistance
readings vary a bit among brands, but if yours reads somewhere
around 1000 ohms at room temperature, it's probably OK.

Other 'F3' causes:
*many sensors connect with a plastic harness plug that's located where
the sensor leads exit the oven cavity. This plug, if installed too close
behind the oven wall, can contact the hot wall and melt. I've seen these
really charred 'crispy', and usually eliminate the plug when replacing
a sensor, using small ceramic wire nuts instead.
*Even a bit of corrosion on sensor harness plug connectors can cause
this problem. Current flow through this circuit is very low, and it
doesn't take much to disrupt it.

*F4 - Shorted sensor or wiring. I find very few sensors themselves
shorted, but sometimes encounter an F4 caused by melted harness
plugs as mentioned above.

*F5 - usually another internal controller circuit board failure, requiring
its replacement (But indicates a door latch problem on newer ranges).

*F6 - Time-keeping circuitry problem - can be caused by fluctuation
of the 60Hz power supply (Another rare one - can indicate a 'cancel'
key failure on newer ranges).

*F7 - Stuck button or function key (bake, broil, clean, etc, on control -
another one I don't remember ever seeing - I feel so deprived!)

*F8 - another internal problem affecting temperature control circuitry
- yet another reason to price a new control!

*F9 - Door lock circuit on older ranges - often caused by pinched or
melted door lock switch wires.

Well, that should get you started on the way back to a normal oven.
Be sure you get prices on parts before ordering, especially the
controllers themselves. They can be really pricey. Feel free to
contact me if you need help researching one for your oven.

2)  To thank you guys for your kindness and support, I'm excited
to announce that I can write you a $25 check this year!  Consider it
your Christmas Gift!

(Note: This offer is only open to DRSNews subscribers)

I know you're waiting for the 'catch', and there is one, but it's a
risk-free one, so read on!

I work for a wonderful online company, and one of their products
is a unique course designed to help you experience the financial
freedom and time freedom that only debt-free living can provide.

Written by a Certified Financial Consultant with some 30 years'
experience, the principles in this course will 'walk' your family out
of debt, teach you how to stay that way, and guide you down the
path to retiring in the next 5-7 years!  (I know, I thought it was
?hype? too, but it?s NOT!)  This course will change your paradigm
in the area of finances, as it has done, and continues to do, for
me and tens of thousands of other people in some 150 countries.

The details: the ?eCourse? is entitled ?The Art of Achieving
Financial Freedom?, accessed via the Internet with a 10-day
free trial and free updates for LIFE, and sells to the general
public for $50. (but not to DRSNews subscribers! Read on...)

To give you an idea what it's all about, the chapter titles are:

1       The Quick Retirement Formula
2       Lifestyle Management
3       The Mathematics of Early Retirement
4       Motivating Yourself
5       The Money Diet
6       Creating a Realistic Budget You Can Live With
7       Starting a Debt Elimination Avalanche
8       Money Saving Insurance Strategies
9       Investment Strategies
10     The Financial Freedom Society
11     Principles of Good Business
12     Managing Your Business
13     Protecting Your Assets
14     The Financial Freedom Highway

  Appendix

A1    Financial Freedom Calculators
A2    Personal Budget Form
A3    Debt Payoff Worksheet
A4    Abundant Living Dream Sheet
A5    Mortgage Pre-payment Coupon
A6    Mileage Log Form

I can tell you from my own experience that this information's
worth many times $50 to you and your family.  But the exciting
news is, when you purchase your course during the month of
December:

I've been authorized to personally write you a $25
rebate check, and that makes this course a steal!

You can read all about the course at:
http://your.FFSI.com/26556 (Click on 'eCourse' at the top).
Remember your course comes with a 10-day ?no loophole?
guarantee - if you're unhappy with it for any reason, you may
cancel it instantly and get a full refund!

But don't decide until you've read chapter one (FREE) here:
http://www.FFSI.com/26556 (just fill in the little form under
that <ahem> good-looking guy's picture on the left)

To receive your $25 rebate, all you need to do is wait about 3
weeks for it to arrive - there are no forms to complete or 'hoops'
to jump through!  I'll personally send you the check!
Learn what else this outstanding company can do for YOU by
watching this (free) 9 minute online presentation:
http://www.FinancialFreedomSeminar.com/26556

                                   ***

I had hoped to have room in this issue to tell you about some
really neat time-saving software we've been using, but it'll
have to wait for next time. I've been trying to keep these
newsletters from getting so long that they become a burden
to you. As those of you know who've been reading this rag for
a while, I can get long-winded! (I see those heads nodding...)

                                   ***

Thanks again, Homeclinic'ers, for inviting me into your inbox.

And as always, if you have any topics you?d like to see
discussed here or covered in an online article, let me
know and I?ll do my best to oblige. And don't forget those
testimonials! Many thanks to those of you who've already
sent yours in! I'm posting them just as fast as I can!

Merry Christmas! Wise men still seek Him!

Warmly,

Dave Harnish
Dave?s Repair Service
New Albany, PA
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
www.DavesRepair.com
(570) 363-2404

On December 25, we celebrate a unique Life that was
detailed in writing far in advance:

'But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, [though] thou be little
among the thousands of Judah, [yet] out of thee shall He
come forth until Me [that is] to be ruler in Israel; whose
goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.'
- Micah 5:2, written approx. 700 years before His birth,
and only one of about 300 pre-written details!

Where to find it:

DRSNews back issues:
www.DavesRepair.com/DRSNbackissues/DRSNindex.htm

How-to Articles:
www.DavesRepair.com/DIYindex.htm

Current Parts Specials:
www.DavesRepair.com/SaleParts/partsspecials.htm

Vintage Parts:
www.DavesRepair.com/vintageparts.htm

Manuals of all kinds:
www.DavesRepair.com/pdfmanuals/manualsindex.htm

You're Invited to My Ebay Store! Come in and Browse!
www.stores.ebay.com/DavesRepairService

***

The DRSNews is sent by ?opt-in? request only.Your name
and email address are held in strictest confidentiality and
are never shared with anyone.

To unsubscribe anytime, (no hard feelings!), click:

Or just send me a blank email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with ?unsubscribe DRSN? in the ?Subject? line
(But hey, tell me why, and I'll try to make it right, OK?)

View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic