[homeclinic] Homeclinic'ers, Here's Your DRSNews!

  • From: Dave Harnish <drs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:35:07 -0600

The DRSNews
 July 2003

Many Thanks to our Veterans, who have paid so
much to preserve our Freedom. We take neither
it nor you for granted, and we salute you!
Hello Homeclinic'ers,

Welcome to the current issue of the DRSNews!
This newsletter is sent once each month, and only by
request.  If you enjoy it, tell your friends about it. They
can subscribe by simply emailing us : drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with the subject 'SubscribeDRSN' & their first name
in the text.

You're subscribed as: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsubscribe instructions are at the end of this message.

My goal is to supply you with useful appliance information,
$-saving DIY tips, an occasional encouraging word, and maybe
even a smile from time to time.  I've wanted to do something
like this for our friends for many years, and am thrilled to
finally have the opportunity!  Thanks for subscribing!
  - Dave Harnish, Dave's Repair Service, New Albany, PA
    Email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx   Phone: 570-363-2404
***************************************
In this issue:

1) Use Your Digital Camera to Test Remote Controls
2) We've Finally Found Anti-Spam Software that Works!
3) Perils & Pitfalls of Prewashing Plates in Palmolive!
4) Kelvinator Brand Name to be Retired

1)  If you're like me, you have 5 or 6 remotes that wander
all around your living room. We're even seeing them used
in major appliances, air conditioners being the most common.
When one of them stops working, here's a simple way to tell
whether it's sending any IR light to your TV, VCR, DVD, or
cable box (or air conditioner).

Just point it at a digital camera or camcorder, and if it's
working, the light will show up in the viewfinder! Fast and
easy!

We purchased a small sensor a few years ago for this
very purpose, but if we'd thought of this first, we could've
saved some money.  Try it - it works great!

Evidently CCD's used in digicams are sensitive to IR,
even though our eyes aren't.

2) We've been testing a brand new piece of software called
Spam Terminator for a little over a month now, and I finally
feel I can recommend it to you. You can download and try
it free for 30 days, after which it costs $35/year, and it's well
worth it!

We receive, on average, about 150 emails/day, and about
75% of those are unwanted 'spam'.  I've come to consider
this package another necessity, right up there with good
anti-virus software. This one's unique, and can run
automatically. We still have it set so we can manually
double-check our list of messages while still on our ISP's
mail server, but even using it this way, it saves us a ton
of time and hassle!

Download your free copy and see what you think:
http://BlockSpamNow.com/r/6998

3) Here's a 'heads-up' on what used to be an uncommon
dishwasher problem. But I'm seeing more of lately, so I
thought it worth mention.

If you pre-rinse your dishes, be careful to leave no
(high-sudsing) hand-wash detergent residue on them
when loading them into your dishwasher.

This is especially important with the newer, 'tall-tub'
models, because they use less water than previous
designs. That means any detergent left on your dishes
becomes less diluted and will cause more problems
than in older machines.

An incredible amount of foam can develop inside a
dishwasher from this small amount of residue, especially
if your water is 'softened'. The suds will actually creep
out the bottom of the door, and you'll think you're in
an old 'B' horror movie!

The solution is simply to use only water to pre-rinse
dishes.

4) And now, a moment of silence...

We learned recently that the old Kelvinator brand name
is going the way of the Passenger Pigeon. Our nation's
second oldest appliance brand in continuous use will soon
be 'retired', according to sources at Electrolux (prev.
Frigidaire).

Kelvinator was the first name to appear on US electric
refrigerators, in 1914, and the only brand in longer use
is Hotpoint, first seen on electric irons in 1903.

For the last couple of decades, Kelvinator equipment
has been mechanically identical to Frigidaire, Gibson,
Westinghouse, and Tappan products, and sales have been
declining, so I can understand the logic behind the
company's decision. But it's still a little sad to see it go...

Homeclinic'ers, thanks for allowing me into your inbox again
this month. I hope you enjoy reading this little project half
as much as I enjoy writing it for you.  What good friends
we're making through this great medium!

May the Lord bless you & yours, and may He continue
to have mercy on America.

Your friend,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
(570) 363-2404

***************************************
'Freedom in America is wonderful.
But freedom in Christ is far better!'
- John 8:31-32

The 'Silent Sales Machine' Hiding on Bay:
(This WORKS, folks!!)
http://hop.clickbank.net/?birdguy/silentsale

Or send us a blank email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with 'unsubscribe DRSN' in the 'Subject' line
(And hey, tell us why, OK? <grin>)

View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic