[homeclinic] Homeclinic'ers, Here's Your DRSNews!

  • From: Dave Harnish <drs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:41:43 -0600

The DRSNews
August 2005

Hi Homeclinic'ers!

By Subscription Only
Published by Dave?s Repair Service, All Rights Reserved
You are currently subscribed with email address:
==> homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsubscribe instructions are at the end of this newsletter.

Feel free to forward this newsletter to friends and invite
them to sign up! Just send them to: www.DavesRepair.com

***************************************

A Special Welcome to all our new subscribers, especially
my fellow YMMSS and FFSI members!

Note: to help this newsletter wade through all the ?spam?
filtering now in use and reach you, I recommend that you
add my address to your email program?s address book:
drs@xxxxxxxxxx  (In Outlook Express, just right - click
on the subject line, then click 'add sender to address book')

In this issue:

1) Cool Tool Dept: Upholstery Foam for OTR Microwaves
2) Time to Lube Your Refrigerator Door Seals Again!

1)  Here's the easiest way I've ever found to remove or lower
OTR (over-the-range) microwave ovens for service.

After struggling with other methods, including 'grunt and try
to lift it yourself' (then take pain relievers for your back for
2 weeks), and hiring a helper (when one can be found), I've
found this solution, and it's been simply elegant!

To be honest, it wasn't my idea (have you ever had a truly
original idea? I've built so much on what others who've
preceded me have done, I really have to wonder. But enough
philosophy, that's about as deep as I get; back to microwaves...)

Someone at Whirlpool came up with this, back when we were
busily pulling their units for their 'big recall' a few years ago.
I've been using it ever since, and been really pleased with the
results. On the Whirlpool-built units, you can remove the entire
cabinet, using a stubby screwdriver, without unhooking and
removing the unit from the wall!

Visit your friendly neighborhood upholstery company, and
buy several pieces of high density upholstery foam. The kind
they use in sofas, easy chairs, etc. It's not cheap (but neither
is back surgery!), although some companies may be willing to
let smaller pieces go at very little cost.

I use three 4'' thick pieces, each 16'' by 24'', and they work
perfectly for me, but smaller, odd-sized ones probably would
too.

I also carry a 22'' by 24'' piece of heavy cardboard, scored and
folded in the middle, to place on glass range tops under the foam.
That's probably not necessary, but I've always been paranoid
around expensive glass (probably comes from some unpleasant
childhood experiences - you don't want to know! <grin>).

This whole package carries nicely in an 18'' plastic milk crate,
which also happens to be the perfect size to flip upside-down
and stand on to do the work (without having to pay a helper!).

You'll normally stack 2 or 3 pieces of foam, depending on the
height of the microwave. Remove the large bolts that anchor
the unit to the overhead cabinet, and carefully tip it down onto
the foam (some units also have a safety latch you pull to unhook
from the wall mounting plate).

If you need to remove it completely, just unhook the back from
the wall plate, and let it settle onto the foam. Makes it much
easier to reinstall, too. Just rest it on the foam, tip it up and
hook the back, and pivot the front up into place. Very nice, and
no embarrassing grunting.

If any of you guys have found other uses for this handy foam,
please let me know. It lasts a long time, and has been a super
tool for this job, but I know there must be other uses...

2) If you've been getting the DRSNews very long, you know
that every year about this time, I remind you to do something
that will save you a bunch of money on refrigerator service.

And it's that time again!

If you want to avoid ever replacing your refrigerator door seals
(or entire door assemblies on newer ones!), grab the Vaseline(tm)
and click over to this article:

http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYrefseallube.htm

***

Thanks again, Homeclinic'ers, for inviting me into your inbox!

As always, if you have any topics you?d like to see discussed
here or covered in an online article, let me know and I?ll do
my best to oblige. And don't forget those testimonials! Many
thanks if you've already sent yours in! I'm posting them just
as fast as I can!

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave?s Repair ServiceNew Albany, PA
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
www.DavesRepair.com
(570) 363-2404

Growing Old is Natural. Growing Up is Optional.
Laughing at Yourself is Therapeutic!
Proverbs 17:22

***

Tired of Recruiting? Hate to Sell? About to Give up
Making Any Really Good Money Online? So Was I...
http://www.ThisPaysBIG/DaveHarnish/

Learn What Financial Freedom REALLY is
(Without the 'Hype')
http://your.FFSI.com/26556

***

The DRSNews is sent by ?opt-in? request only.Your name and email address are
held in strictest
confidentiality and are never shared with anyone.

To unsubscribe anytime, (no hard feelings!), click:

Or just send me a blank email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with ?unsubscribe DRSN? in the ?Subject? line (But hey, tell me why, and I'll
try to make it right, OK?)

View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic