[homeclinic] Homeclinic'ers, Here's Your DRSNews!

  • From: Dave Harnish <drs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:26:56 -0600

The DRSNews
November 2004
Hi Homeclinic'ers!

I apologize for getting this issue out so late!
November really sneaked up on me, even though
I'm pedaling as fast as I can. You'll probably notice
that this issue is shorter than usual, too, but I
promise to do better next month - 'will even have
a Christmas present or two for you!
I hope you have the best Thanksgiving ever!

By Subscription Only
Published by Dave?s Repair Service, All Rights Reserved
You are currently subscribed with email address:
==> homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsubscribe instructions are at the end of this newsletter.
You are encouraged to forward this newsletter to friends!
***************************************
A Special Welcome to our new subscribers!

Note: to ensure this newsletter gets through all the
?spam? filtering now in use, I recommend that you add
my address to your email program?s address book:
drs@xxxxxxxxxx (In Outlook Express, just right - click
on the subject line, then click 'add sender to address
book')

In this issue:

1) How to Calibrate Your Oven's Temperature
2) A Couple of Great Ebay Tools

You'll find back issues of this newsletter here (all the way
back to the first one, May 2002):
www.DavesRepair.com/DRSNbackissues/DRSNindex.htm

1) I always find myself calibrating lots of ovens this time of
year, with Thanksgiving and Christmas closing in.

That oven that's been a little too hot or that you've had to set
50 degrees higher needs to be *right* for all the baking you
see in your near future, and this can be panic time! So I
thought this night be a good time to go over a couple of the
basics of oven temp's.

First, even though electronic controls can be adjusted up or
down a bit, they rarely need it, so I'll focus mainly on 'analog',
or 'hydraulic' thermostats here. If it has a rotary knob and no
digital display, this describes yours.

If the temperature's 'off' in your electronic control oven , I'd
contact your local pro, as there are so many different adjustment
procedures for these, depending on brand, there's not space
here to get into them.

We will be talking a bit about the various error ('F') codes in
the electronic range controls next month, though.

Contrary to popular opinion, when you set your oven temp to
350F, it doesn't heat to 350F and *stay* there. (In a perfect
world, it would, but in this old fallen one, it just doesn't work
that way <grin>).

An oven 'ramps up' in preheat - usually 5 to 10 minutes - to a
temp that's usually well above the 'set' temp. At 350, for example,
you'll see the average electric oven heat to around 400F before
cycling off the first time.

After preheat, the average 'differential', or range of temp's
between on and off, will vary from one oven to another. But a
50 degree F differential is considered very accurate, and even
electronic controls don't get much better than this in the real
world.

So what we want at the 350 setting is an *average* of around
350 or a little less. Ideally, this is an 'on' temp of around 325F
and back 'off' at around 375F, yielding an average of 350. Setting
this a bit lower than 350F isn't a bad idea, though. I usually aim
for an average of 340F or 345F, because it's easier to put your
food back into the oven for a few minutes if under - done than
it is opening the door to find a 'burnt offering'.

OK, so now we know what to 'shoot for', so how do we measure
the actual oven temperature? Well, let me answer that by telling
you how *not* to try it. Don't rely on those $2.99 dial - type
thermometers from the local grocery or hardware store. They're
never very accurate, and it's pretty much impossible to get a
good idea what's going on inside the oven using one.

One note that I'll insert here, before you start: check the
position of the sensing bulb inside the oven. Make sure it's
fastened securely in its mounting, usually with two small steel
clips, and is *not touching the oven wall*. This is very important.
The tstat senses air temperature, and if its sensing bulb's
touching metal, the accuracy will be severely 'off' - usually
averaging very low (electronic sensors are mounted more securely,
but it pays to take a quick look at one of those before you start,
too, just to be sure).

The best way to read this accurately is with a remote - reading
thermometer. And these days, digital ones are very inexpensive,
and one will last you a *long* time. I've had my old Maytag unit
for nearly 20 years (!), and use it several  times per week, at least.
Way back when I bought it, cost was around $70, but these days
you'll often see temperature capability built into inexpensive
digital volt-ohm meters. Radio Shack sells them at very reasonable
cost, as do other retailers, and they work very well. Usually accurate
to within *one degree F*, which is more than enough accuracy for
our purposes here.

When testing, place the end of the meter's thermocouple in the
center of the oven - I usually twist it around the center of a rack -
and you watch the temp change up and down with the door closed.

Allow about an hour to run at least 3 on/off 'cycles' up and down,
then adjust, and run 2 or 3 more to verify that it's right.

Write down the 'on' and 'off' temps for several cycles, and divide
the difference between the two to get the current average.

Adjustment procedures vary widely between brands and models,
but often you'll see a pair of screws on the back of the tstat  knob,
and by loosening these the indicator can be rotated to the correct
setting, matching the *average* on your meter.

If your tstat knob has no screws, you'll commonly see a tiny screw
inside the tstat shaft, and this is turned a bit to change setting.
On most of these, turning that little screw CW lowers temp, CCW
raises it. The 'trick' is finding (or grinding down) a screwdriver
small enough to fit. We used to buy them from our parts distributors,
but I've had trouble finding them the last few years, so have had
to carefully grind small 'pocket' screwdrivers down to fit.

If you can't get enough adjustment to bring your oven temp into
line using the available range on the knob or with that little screw
(or if the screw's 'frozen' - not uncommon), you'll have to 'bite the
bullet' and replace either the tstat or the range, I'm afraid.

If it should come to that, drop me an email with your model number
and I'll be happy to research one for you. We have some pretty
good parts sources, and I can get parts to you pretty fast. I get a
'kick' out of helping handy folks, especially when they realize that
they actually *can* do way more in this area than they previously
thought.

2)  If you're a member of Ebay (and most folks are these days, it
seems), here are two resources that I very highly recommend:

* If you do any selling on Ebay, you'll save yourself a ton of time
by using one of their selling tools. The (free) one I use daily's
called 'Turbo Lister', and I don't know how I'd keep up without it.
A very easy tool to learn, it allows you to save auctions on your
own computer, modify them, and post them straight to Ebay at
your convenience, either immediately or at whatever time you
schedule. (Best time to end auctions is around 10:00PM Eastern
on Sunday nights, btw).

I have over 150 items saved in TL right now, and it's really
convenient to open one up, or open a template I've saved earlier,
modify it, add or change the pictures, and send it - all in just a
few minutes! Try it! It's a free download:
http://pages.ebay.com/turbo_lister/

* If you run a business and are looking for more advertising
exposure (who isn't ?!), here's a tool that teaches you how to use
Ebay to really boost your numbers!

I highly recommend it - because it's changed my life! A really
sharp guy named Jim Cockrum has come up with what I call a
'stupidly simple' system for diverting a portion of all that
(worldwide!) Ebay traffic over to take a look at your business,
no matter what it is - works with *any* business - and I can
testify that it works *great!* And it's perfectly ethical and
within Ebay's rules and guidelines!

There's another huge benefit from this technique that few people
'get': When you use this system of advertising, * all of your Ebay
fees become deductible advertising costs! * (Didja get that?!).

This saves me a bunch of money every month in fees, AND gets
me tons of new traffic! (hmmm, maybe I should start charging for
this newsletter - this information's just too good! <grin>)

Anyway, there's more to it than I can go into here. Get Jim's
e-book that explains, step by step, how to do it. It's called 'The
Silent Sales Machine Hiding on Ebay', and it's a very simple
download: http://hop.clickbank.net/?birdguy/silentsale

And if you need a business to promote using Ebay, retire with,
then hand down to your kids, all while working from home, this
is for you:

I save a ton of money every month just by using their
long distance phone service (I no longer need our
local phone Co.'s LD). They offer so much for so little,
I call the Financial Freedom Society the best - kept
secret on the Net today: http://www.FFSI.com/26556
(be sure you watch the free 9 minute web-seminar!)

***

Thanks again, Homeclinic'ers, for inviting me into your inbox.

Feel free to invite others to subscribe. They can just email
me with ?Subscribe DRSN? in the email subject line, or sign
up here: www.DavesRepair.com

And as always, if you have any topics you?d like to see
discussed here or covered in an online article, let me know
and I?ll do my best to oblige. And don't forget those testimonials!
Thanks to those of you who've already sent yours in! I'm posting
them just as fast as I can!

Happy Thanksgiving! May God richly bless you & yours!

Warmly,

Dave Harnish
Dave?s Repair ServiceNew Albany, PA
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
www.DavesRepair.com
(570) 363-2404

Nehemiah 9:6

Where to find it:
DRSNews back issues:
www.DavesRepair.com/DRSNbackissues/DRSNindex.htm
How-to Articles:
www.DavesRepair.com/DIYindex.htm
Current Parts Specials:
www.DavesRepair.com/SaleParts/partsspecials.htm
Vintage Parts:
www.DavesRepair.com/vintageparts.htm
Manuals of all kinds:
www.DavesRepair.com/pdfmanuals/manualsindex.htm
You're Invited to My Ebay Store! Come on in and Browse!
www.stores.ebay.com/DavesRepairService

***

The DRSNews is sent by ?opt-in? request only.
Your name and email address are held in strictest
confidentiality and are never shared with anyone.

To unsubscribe anytime, (no hard feelings!), click:

Or just send me a blank email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with ?unsubscribe DRSN? in the ?Subject? line
(But hey, tell me why, and I'll try to make it right, OK?)

View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic