[homeclinic] Homeclinic'ers, Here's Your DRSNews!

  • From: Dave Harnish <drs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:57:49 -0600

The DRSNews
April 2005
(Think Spring!)

Hi Homeclinic'ers!

By Subscription Only
Published by Dave?s Repair Service, All Rights Reserved

You are currently subscribed with email address:
==> homeclinic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsubscribe instructions are at the end of this newsletter.

You're welcome to forward this newsletter to friends,
and to invite them to sign up! Just send them to:
www.DavesRepair.com

***************************************
A Special Welcome to all our new subscribers!

Note: to ensure this newsletter gets through all the
?spam? filtering now in use, I recommend that you add
my address to your email program?s address book:
drs@xxxxxxxxxx

(In Outlook Express, just right - click on the subject line,
then click 'add sender to address book')

In this issue:

1) Why I Don't Recommend Front Load Washers (yet)
2) How's Your Financial Health?
3) 'Tall Tub' Dishwashers - Worth the Extra Bucks?

1)  I get asked about front load washers nearly every day,
so I though I'd share my $.02 on the subject with you.
Especially since I've already had to 'DOA' two more
this month, and I'm writing this on the 6th! I hate telling
folks to scrap these beautiful looking machines!

First, the positives: these machines do a terrific job of
washing clothes, using little water and detergent. They're
very easy on fabric while deep-cleaning the toughest stains.

However:
I'm seeing American-made front loaders' main bearings
lasting only 5-7 years, and that's just not long enough (I
don't see enough 'offshore' brand machines - Asko, Miele,
etc - to know much about their reliability).

It's tough to fix this inherent weakness, and it's the number
one reason (of several) that I can't recommend these machines.

Here's the problem: When you hang 40-50 pounds of water,
laundry, and basket out on the end of a rotating shaft supported
by bearings pressed into plastic, you have a mechanical
system that just can't survive very long.

Other problems include leakage at the seam between the
two (plastic) tank halves, basket pulley failure, usually
resulting in tub wear-through and leaks, and motor (3 phase)
controller circuit board failures, just to name a few of the
most common.

Considering one of these washers can cost up to $1400, 5-7
years just isn't a sound investment. And we won't even go into
the electronics problems we have with them out here
in the 'boonies' from electrical power that's anything but
'clean' and reliable. Or voltage 'spikes' from nearby lightning
strikes...

There is one bright spot on the horizon, but it's too early to
tell if it'll dawn or not. A company in Groveport, Ohio, Staber
Corp, entered the residential front loader market a few years
ago, and their machines look promising.

They address the bearing problems by supporting their wash
tub with bearings in both front and rear - a major improvement.

Technically not front-loaders (they load from the top), these
are what we call 'horizontal axis' machines, because the tub
rotates horizontally like a typical FL, and your dryer. Unique.

Even though they're using electronics driving a 3 phase motor
like the others, this is one to watch. Cost is around $1200, though
- still an awful lot of money to do your laundry, IMO. But check
it out: www.staber.com

2) Forgive me, I know this is off-topic, and I've mentioned the
following company's products before, but they continue to change
my life - and they'll change yours too - don't miss checking them
out!

Poor financial health will rob you of 10 to 20 extra years of
financial independence. Tragically for many it also results in
bankruptcies, business failures, divorces, shattered retirement
dreams, and even premature death.

As we all know, a health club for your body helps you reduce fat...
we help you reduce expenses. A regular health club helps you
build muscle size and tone... we help you build net worth and
p assive income. A regular health club also helps you improve
your heart/lung efficiency... we help you improve your time
efficiency.

To our knowledge we are the first and only Financial Health
Club(tm) in the world. We provide our members with everything
they need to:

* Slash current monthly expenses
   (Society membership pays for itself multiple times)
* Eliminate ALL debt
* Build net worth
* Build passive income
* Eliminate financial stress
* Increase available personal time
* Achieve financial independence in half the normal time
* Interact and associate with other Society members in order
   to benefit from their knowledge and experiences.
* Become able to share time and money with others less fortunate
   than yourself
* Develop high self-respect and esteem
* Pass on a legacy of excellent financial health to their children

Over 240 charities and non-profit organizations publicly
recommend membership in the Society because membership
changes lives for the better. Joining the Financial Freedom
Society(tm) can transform your life too. And, since your membership
is a family membership, all of your legal dependents will enjoy the
full benefits of membership. Join me today! 10 day f'ree trial:
Click here: http://your.ffsi.com/26556

PS - If you're a business owner, our Employee Benefit Program
could increase your pre-tax profit by about $450 per employee per
year... and bless your employees and their families. More on that
here: http://business.ffsi.com/26556

3) While I'm up here on my soapbox, I might as well sound off
on another newer attempt in the never-ending quest to get you
to dig deeper into your wallet: 'tall tub' dishwashers.

These machines sell themselves as soon as you open their door.
All that interior space is a definite 'Wow!' factor, and the door
panel reaching nearly to the floor really presents a nice clean
look on the outside.

But once again, after servicing dozens of these, I have to say
I'm not yet 'sold' (I'm not a negative person, honestly, but... <grin>).

Some of the same reservations I have about FL clothes washers
apply here. Nearly all these high-end dishwashers use electronic
controls, and that adds another level of complexity, which
translates into your seeing more of guys like me. (Yes I know,
I should be happy to have the extra work, but... <g>)

The TT's all use a horizontal axis wash pump system to get the
necessary extra floor clearance. I've been servicing dishwashers
for nearly 33 years now, and have yet to see a horizontally
mounted motor/pump assembly that lasted as long as one that's
vertically mounted. The weird thing is, I'm not sure why.

Logically, a pump impeller rotating vertically around a horizontal
shaft should be more efficient at 'throwing' water upward. But long
term reliability tends to favor the opposite. Odd. As with any newer
designs, time will tell.

OK, I'm climbing down and giving you a break! I feel much better
now!

Thanks again, Homeclinic'ers, for inviting me into your inbox.

As always, if you have any topics you?d like to see discussed
here or covered in an online article, let me know and I?ll do my
best to oblige. And don't forget those testimonials! Many thanks
if you've already sent yours in! I'm posting them just as fast as
I can!

Warmly,

Dave Harnish
Dave?s Repair Service
New Albany, PA
drs@xxxxxxxxxx
www.DavesRepair.com
(570) 363-2404

"God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change,
the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know... it's ME!"

Revelation 22:12-14 KJV

Where to find it:

The Testimonials Page:
www.DavesRepair.com/testimonials1.htm

DRSNews back issues:
www.DavesRepair.com/DRSNbackissues/DRSNindex.htm

How-to Articles:
www.DavesRepair.com/DIYindex.htm

Current Parts Specials:
www.DavesRepair.com/SaleParts/partsspecials.htm

Vintage Parts:
www.DavesRepair.com/vintageparts.htm

Manuals of all kinds:
www.DavesRepair.com/pdfmanuals/manualsindex.htm

You're Invited to My Ebay Store! Come in and Browse!
www.stores.ebay.com/DavesRepairService

***

The DRSNews is sent by ?opt-in? request only.Your name and
email address are held in strictest confidentiality and are never
shared with anyone.

To unsubscribe anytime, (no hard feelings!), click:

Or just send me a blank email: drs@xxxxxxxxxx
with ?unsubscribe DRSN? in the ?Subject? line (But hey, tell me
why, and I'll try to make it right, OK?)

View the Archives at //freelists.org/archives/homeclinic