[hllug] Re: ubuntu, again

  • From: Don Crowder <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 22:50:18 -0600

paul wrote:

Can Ubuntu run on a p3/500?

I bought a couple of 550 MHz P3'sm each having 256 MB of RAM, at Kings in Kingsland and have been experimenting on them.

DSL works very nicely but requires a USB mouse. The developer is fanatic about keeping DSL small enough to fit on a 50 MB business card CD and I'm guessing broad based support for PS2 mouses is one of the features that got eliminated by priorities. The installation, from the live CD, was very easy to accomplish. Under XShell in the menu open a root terminal, turn on cfdisk, create a type 82, Linux Swap, partition that's at least 500 MB in size, and a second type 83 partition (of whatever size suits you (I normally use the balance of the HDD and DSL seems much happier if both are primary partitions), Write the partition table, note the names of your partitions, reboot into the live CD, open the menu, navigate to Apps/Tools/Install to Hard Drive and click.

KateOS is specifically designed for systems which have low resources and has matured into a very nice distribution. The install process opened gparted to permit me to partition the hard drive but I've never used gparted and the help file wasn't included on the CD so I opened a terminal (with the icon on the Xfce tool bar), typed "su", entered the root password (I forget now but I think it was simply "root"), typed "cfdisk"<enter> and partitioned the drive exactly as if I were going to install DSL, then closed the terminal, closed gparted, and resumed the text based installation process. KateOS ran as fast as DSL on one of the 550 MHz P3s and has a very nice look and feel to it though the installation process was a bit more geeky.

I also tried Wolvix 1.1.0, which is a Slackware based, live CD distro that uses Xfce and comes in two "flavors", Cub and Hunter (Hunter being substantially larger and more feature filled). The HDD installation is a feature in the Wolvix Control Panel and was fairly easy to follow but Wolvix was disappointingly slow compared to DSL or KateOS.

Paul, if your MB will support it, I've got a 750 MB P3 processor for socket 370 and, if you don't feel like downloading the ISO files, I'll be happy to mail you CDs of any, or all, of these.
Don Crowder
http://www.don-guitar.com
http://www.lockergnome.com/eldergeek/
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch