[hllug] ubuntu, again

  • From: paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HLUG <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:01:26 -0600

After a bit of tinkering I find I really like Ubuntu. It's not perfect but neither am I. It's interesting, too. But not waking from Standby irks... it works with XP...

Oh, and to install Slimserver, that process seems weird to me. No .exe to download, "just" edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include:

deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main

Seems easier to d/l an .exe so I can save it if I need to re-install. <shrug> I'm trying to not be a stick in the mud but my age is starting to show. :)

Anyway, the box is a p4/2.4GHz blah blah.... google "eMachine T4080". The machine has a 75Gb drive. I had Ubuntu on a 13Gb drive.

Not enough space for 63Gb of music and any hope of using the box as a basic file server.

I removed the 13Gb drive and ran a program called "MBRFix" to get rid of Ubuntu. That worked.

Bought a WD 500GB SATA drive for this machine and put the year old 400Gb Seagate IDE drive into the p4. Played around in Disk Manager (in XP) and made the drive into two partitions. Disk Manager is much nicer than fdisk.

Hopefully this install will be better. Windows installs differently every time, why wouldn't another OS?

Power saving /is/ going to work.

paul
--
   http://remsset.com

   Red meat is _not_ bad for you. Now blue-green meat,
   *that's* bad for you!