[hllug] Re: ubuntu, again

  • From: paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:58:00 -0600

I'll just Cry Uncle and be done with this for a while.

I have other projects going on and pissing around with this, well, while very educational, I don't have time. Never mind the learnipiing curve frustration.

First install of Ubuntu was good (other than power management)(not a big deal). Second install because I swapped out hard drives, well, like Win95, Ubuntu seems to install according to the phase of the moon.... and it had "pauses" and would freeze after several pauses. The only change was swapping a 13Gb drive for a known good 400Gb drive and re-installing. But pulling the power always works to reboot a PC.

It's frustrating... the so called Help is just that: so called. As much as Help in Windows sucks, Ubuntu is worse. Goggling helps once you get past all the links for link farms and ID10t filled forums. And of course, if you only have one machine you are screwed.

I tinkered and I /did/ get Slimserver installed. I think. I never found how to open Slimserver. But once again the system got real slow and pretty much locked up... so I hit the Power and oh, joy, when it rebooted I had glorious 640x480 and 16 colors. I did boot into "safe mode" and when I shut that down Slimserver was one of the services being stopped.

After messing around and telling Ubuntu what the vid card is, it booted just fine. To a black screen, tho. Quite useful, that.

In the old days of wfw I knew how to boot to dos and edit system.ini and fix the video. I don't know how to do that with Ubuntu.

So.... into XP and C:\> MbrFix /drive 0 fixmbr /yes in a cmd window fixes that and the box boots into XP. Box runs quite well with XP. As much as I want to run Ubuntu, it appears that this not my time. I'll leave the the two partitions Ubuntu created alone for now.

I ran the Slimserver installer (it's about 24MB) in XP and it works. It's still indexing some 12,200 or so songs... and will for another hour.

Sorry Ubuntu, yer a hot gal but it just ain't working out. Maybe the next release.

Can Ubuntu run on a p3/500?

paul
--
   http://remsset.com