[hashcash] Re: status of hashcash version 1?

  • From: Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:46:10 -0400

>>>>> "Jonathan" == Jonathan Morton <chromi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Jonathan> Yes - compile specifically for your CPU model.  On x86 this is
Jonathan> done using (for example) -march=athlon-xp, on PPC it's done
Jonathan> using (for example) -mcpu=7450.  Look up the info page for GCC
Jonathan> to find the options for your platform.

Jonathan> Without knowledge of the specific model to compile for, GCC
Jonathan> will use a generic model which will run on any CPU from the
Jonathan> architecture, but probably not as fast as it might do.

Well, the CPU I'm running on *is* the generic model (first generation
Alpha).  I tried -mcpu=ev4 anyways, and the results are pretty much the
same.  Mind you, this is gcc 2.95.4, which doesn't seem to do very well
an alpha.  It's unlikely that I'll be able to get a newer compiler on
that machine any time soon.

By the way, for the Debian package, I'm going to need to keep things
fairly generic, which means I can't do things like -march=athlon-xp.  Do
you know of any nice way of getting around this?  Or am I just going to
have to hope that Debian users can live with the few percent loss of
performance?  The only way I know of is to make a hashcash-586,
hashcash-athlon, ... etc. package, which doesn't sound very appealing
to me.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA