[hashcash] Re: status of hashcash version 1?

  • From: Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:54:26 -0400

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam Back <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Adam> Well I put up some source that implements one proposed version 1
Adam> format here:

Adam>   http://www.hashcash.org/source/current/

OK.  I'll take a look at packaging that.

Adam> it does not come with multiple sub-puzzle support which could be
Adam> added.

Will this involve another format change?  Or should it be backwards
compatible?  (I assume that it will change the format.)

Adam> The other part missing from the implementation is the hooks to
Adam> make use of extensions. ...

OK.  I don't think it should be that much of an issue if the Debian
package lacks some feature.  I just don't want Debian users to be
generating incompatible stamps for the lifetime of the next stable
release (which some Debian developers tell me should be much shorter
than the current stable's lifetime, but I'd rather be cautious).

Adam> Plus need to integrate Chromatix fast hashcash code.  Think main
Adam> issue there is to have a way to know which code to run on a
Adam> machine based on eg some CPU properties code so it is fast, or a
Adam> very short trial of the set of alternatives that run on the CPU to
Adam> measure which is best.

I guess the best thing to do is to measure once (e.g. at package install
time), and store the result for which alternative is the best, right?

Adam> And the last and probably biggest issue is how to deal with CPU
Adam> inflation.  I was thinking this could be implemented using the
Adam> extension mechanism.  One way is to pass around p2p the largest
Adam> required-hash definition seen so far, and have someone / some
Adam> group changing this over time using some pre-agreed criteria.

OK.  I guess this is another feature that is less of an issue for the
Debian package to be missing, since it can always be done by hand.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA