[hashcash] Re: status of hashcash version 1?

  • From: hal@xxxxxxxxxx ("Hal Finney")
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:37:58 -0700 (PDT)

As a data point, I estimate that running a modern PC costs five cents
per hour.  This is based on the costs of electricity plus amortization
over a two year period (both costs are about equal).  If the PC can
generate 4 million collisions per second, then in one hour it can generate
approximately a 33 to 34 bit stamp, and that costs five cents.

A 24 bit stamp would then cost about 1/1000 of this or about five
milli-cents.  I don't know how this would compare with the other expenses
of a spammer.

Hal Finney