[hashcash] Re: status of hashcash version 1?

  • From: Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hashcash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:44:52 -0400

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric S Johansson <esj@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Eric> is it possible to have multiple machine optimized images of the
Eric> library with a smart front-end to route calls to the right
Eric> library?

I'm sure it's possible, e.g. using some dlopen(3), etc. magic.  I could
probably figure something out given enough time.  Unfortunately, that
won't happen for a while.

Personally, my vote would be for just getting a stable v.1 out so that
it can be pushed into the next Debian stable (the release managers are
hoping for a general freeze within a couple of weeks -- the freeze of
the base system is already underway).  I'd just compile for a generic
system.  If the fastmint stuff gets merged, I'll compile fastmint_mmx
with the mmx flags and everything else without, and hope that the CPU
detection code works (I guess it's time to dust off Bochs for
testing).  Similarly for Altivec.  I'd rather have a slow (but working)
hashcash in Debian stable than to have no hashcash.  After that
happens, then I'll start worrying about performance.

(Of course, Adam is free to have his own opinions on release schedule.
This is just my view from the Debian side of things.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA