[openbeos] Re: the browser ...

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 17:57:12 -0500

Honestly, we have beaten this topic *completely* to death. :-)
Not that this is Phillip's fault. But there are at least 10 applications that
we could talk this way about. From Office Suites to EMail to database access.
Truth is, this isn't what we do. We build an OS. *WHEN* we are more complete,
MAYBE some of this will be relevant. But I really don't think that it is our
"place",
nor our job to write a browser or define the vision for one.

I know that would be a distraction for me, at the very least. I have *more* than
enough on my plate without trying to be the primary software architect for
every application out there. Yes, the browser is *somewhat* different, since
it is considered to be a fundamental part of the OS (thank you Bill). But not so
much so, really.  I think that for an OS to be a really useful package for
users,
it has to install a number of applications up front, in some way. Choosing those
will be a large and difficult task. One that I do not think that we can really
handle
right now. :-/

>Think I've only posted once with the list of mirrors but anyway here is my
>view as I'm not exactly a great programmer so I feel I'm more of an ideas
>man :)

And we need ideas people. A lot. Seriously - contact Nathan about ideas for R2
-
that is the best place right now for people with good ideas. :-)