[openbeos] the browser ...

  • From: "arougthopher" <beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 18:20:26 -0800

I just signed up for this list, and OBOS.  I was reading the archives,
and saw the discussion for having a compliant browser for OBOS.  If you
didn't know already, I'm working on BeZilla.  I have a news site I
slapped together for it (http://www.bezilla.org), and, at least
Netscape seems to think so, am the primary developer for the BeOS port
of mozilla.

I to, believe that BeOS should have a really good web browser.  That is
why I am working on BeZilla.  That is also why, my donations to OBOS
are as a measly beta tester, since I don't have enough time to work on
BeZilla as I would like, let alone another project.  BeZilla has made
some strides in the last couple of weeks, considering.  When I started
on the project, the newsgroup was fairly active, with at least 3-5
other developers working on it.  Since the news of Be's demise,
however, I was the only one.  That, and a little depression about the
events that were taking place, lead me to barely do anything to the
code for most of the last couple months.  Then, recently, I got CVS
access to the tree, started working on it again, and also found out
that at least someone else in the community was willing to help a
little, Daniel Switkin.  So, things may start looking up.

Now with my ranting completed, let me get to my point.  I am officially
voting for BeZilla to be the OBOS browser of choice.  This is not just
because I am working on it, either.  First, with BeZilla, we as a team,
not only have ourselves, but hundreds if not more, developers working
on the project.  Luckily, we only have to worry about one part of that
project, and that is making it run under BeOS.  Well, for the most
part, that's taken care of.  Now, we just need to make it better.
Second, Mozilla gets a lot of press,.  We could ride their coat tails,
so to speak, for a little publicity ourselves.  Third, it is one of the
most standard compliant browsers on the market.  Forth, it is
embedable, so we could take just the browser part, and make a smaller
application.  Fifth, a lot of the work is already done.  Sixth, it
brings familiarity to users who know nothing about OBOS, or BeOS for
that matter.  Plus probably some other good reasons, I can't think of
right now.

IBM choose Mozilla for it's primary browser for OS/2, probably for a
lot of the same reasons I just mentioned.  It makes sense.  Why start
something new, that would take a long time to develop, and might not
ever get to the level of what Mozilla could bring us.

Well, these are just my thoughts.  If the majority of the members of
OBOS decide that Mozilla is not the browser they want, then I would
surely help with what ever was decided upon.  I have no loving ties to
mozilla.  It's just so close, that to me, it seemed the obvious choice.

-paul