[openbeos] Re: the browser ...

  • From: "arougthopher" <beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 23:07:20 -0800

>1. Mozilla takes FOREVER to start up, and I personally hate the idea
of a
>startup leech to make it appear to load faster. Whichever browser we
use has
>to be snappy in every way, a reflection of BeOS's power.

There has been no optimizations, that I'm aware of, ever made to
BeZilla in particular, except for possible minor tweeks here and there.
That is one of the issues currently being looked into.

As for startup speed:
On my machine, mozilla takes about 6-7 seconds to start up. (display a
window)
Opera, about a second.
Net+, instantaneous

Mozilla takes about 3 seconds to start on my linux box at work, which
has under half the processing power I have here at home.  This should
be able to be improved.

>2. All of the UI controls are custom drawn. Meaning it looks totally
>foreign, nothing like any other program, and therefore won't take
advantage
>of any system-wide UI customizations/preferences.

This is part of mozilla's platform independency.  However, mozilla is
skinnable, and a BeOS skin could be created.  I started playing around
with doing this, and it really isn't that hard to do.  We could get it
to look more like a BeOS app, but yes, it would not respond to system-
wide customizations.  It might be possible, however, to have multiple
skins, each representing the look you want.

>If the HTML renderer can be used independently of the rest of the
browser,
>and doesn't have the problems I've listed, I think it'd be great.

Embedding is supported by mozilla.  Theoretically, we should be able to
do this under BeOS.  The file menus and everything else would be
controlled by native gui objects.  However, the html form objects,
would still be drawn according to a mozilla theme/skin.

Oh, and I just thought of another good reason.  We would have to spoof
as something we are not, to get a lot of pages to load properly, since
many pages use javascript to force users into using specific browsers.
This is actually a problem in mozilla, and any other browser, but
mozilla/netscape is usually accepted, and we would know the site would
work, since we would not need to spoof.

-paul