[openbeos] Re: haiku.image with developer tools and co

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:59:37 +0200

Gerald Zajac wrote:
> Ralf Schuelke wrote:
> > the other is, beos have a nice makefile engine, have haiku gcc this too
> > ? (a jamfile-engine for apps are nice too :-) )
> >
> I've used the makefile engine in both BeOS and Zeta, and I find that the
> Zeta makefile engine to be a much better engine.  For example, the Zeta
> makefile engine keeps track of file dependencies, and if a header file is
> changed it will automatically rebuild the files that include the
> respective header file if the simple command "make" is entered.  Under
> BeOS, any time I changed a header file, I had to enter the command "make
> clean", and then the "make" command.  BTW, the Zeta version I use is 1.21.

Way back then, Ingo also wrote a better makefile engine which we used for
our projects befor switching to jam. It also handles the dependencies, but
does not create another folder like the ZETA one does. When the time comes
to add something like that I can dig it out. Personally I wouldn't mind
Haiku offering a jamfile.engine and a makefile.engine side by side.

Best regards,
-Stephan