[openbeos] Re: haiku.image with developer tools and co

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Please, forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between this
>  and the "Jam building tool" listed in the Development page of the
>  website linked to:
>
>  http://www.haiku-os.org/files/jam.zip
>
>  Are they different so we need them both, or are they supposed to be the
>  same so that we could settle with one in order to avoid unnecessary
>  duplication/confusion?

They are more or less completely different entities. Just as the Be
makefile-engine made it easier to use the make build tool to build
BeOS applications, the Jamfile-engine can be used with the jam build
tool (which you linked above) to build BeOS or Haiku applications.
Both "engines" are really just a set of boiler-plate code that is
common to a makefile or Jamfile used to build BeOS or Haiku
applications. It saves the developer from having to reinvent the wheel
or copy a lot of the same code around when creating new projects.

Just as a PHP file is different than the PHP application used to
process that PHP file, the Jamfile-engine is just a set of
instructions that can be used by the jam build tool to build
applications.

Regards,
Ryan