[openbeos] Re: The world as we know it

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:47:22 -0400

>What is also the case, though, is that we already *have* R5. It exists.
>I'm running it. If R5 is equivalent to R1, then we have R1. So why not

There is have, and there is have. :-)
We have no source, no possible way to extend, to hope for the future R5. Yup.
Also, believe it or not, I believe that there is cruft in R5. From Dr8,9
PR,DR3,DR4, etc.
We will come through cruft free with something that we understand and have the
source
to. Is that not enough?

>start building the cool things now? Sure, it would be nice to have it
>all open source. But we can, at the same time as we replace those
>components, make them better. There is no reason to simply go blindly

In a few cases we are. Where it is fall down, dead obvious.
mmap is a good example. So is networking in the kernel. How about integrated
FS/VM cache? All good stuff. But where we are drawing the line is in creating
new APIs and changing the ones that exist.

*IF* there were some design out there that was legal to look at that was R6, I
would
seriously consider it. If I could go into an alternate future and come back
with the BeBook
from BeOS 2015, we would implement that. But, truth is, design is hard. And
designing
a complete OS is very hard. And doing that as volunteers who have never built
an OS
before? Well, I wouldn't say that it is impossible, but I think that it is very
hard. I don't know
of any really successful attempts at that. Cloning R5's API is the best way
that I know to
get going. I like the example of AROS - they spent years debating design before
they said
forget this and built AmigaOS 3 (recreating the last release). Once they did
that, they knew
how to procede from there.