[openbeos] Re: The world as we know it

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 19:28:28 -0400 (EDT)

> There's *lots* of cruft in R5. But building R1 on R5, for that very
> reason, ensures that R1 will hardly be cruft-free. Further, you can

How so?

> extend it without having source. Look at the MDR, for instance. We had
> no source to anything at all. Yet we managed to extend the system, and
> replace part of it with something that is (IMHO) much better. You don't
> need to clone everything to make changes. That's the beauty of Be's
> modular architecture.

I'll be looking forward to seeing these.

> > >start building the cool things now? Sure, it would be nice to have
> > > it
> > >all open source. But we can, at the same time as we replace those

I just saw apache 2 for beos, so people are doing this all ready.

> > *IF* there were some design out there that was legal to look at that
> > was R6, I would
> > seriously consider it. If I could go into an alternate future and

Better to have a few lines of working code than millions of lines of
"ideas" from people who don't code.

> > come back with the BeBook
> > from BeOS 2015, we would implement that. But, truth is, design is
> > hard. And designing
> > a complete OS is very hard. And doing that as volunteers who have

And getting consensus is the hardest thing which was why R5 was a good
starting point.

> I never suggested spending years debating design. I just suggested an

I agree. Debate is worthless. Working code is priceless.

> evolutionary approach to upgrading the system, which is made quite
> possible by Be's architecture. This doesn't make blindly cloning R5 any
> less senseless.

Then don't do it. Write some extensions in your own time and submit them
to cvs. They are undoubtedly welcome.

But don't bash the workign developers. Also, don't bash the working
developers. Their work is not senseless. And the obfs is better than bfs
in some ways. And the obfs code is a million times better than people's
ideas who don't code. B/c I can't run their ideas on my computer no matter
how cool they are. In most cases, they are copied from other OSes, which
is great, but it would be a billion times better if they had implemented
them.

Look, I'm not better than anyone else as I have contributed zero, however,
I know where to get off, and that's the developer's backs.

If you don't know what you are doing then praise the developers. If you
think that they suck then send them patches or detailed bug reports.

I mean, I'm as much of a troll as anyone else, but unlike other trolls, I
don't make it like it's hard work or your doing anyone a favor by bashing
people.

Have a nice day.

Fred