[openbeos] Re: The world as we know it

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:56:35 EDT (-0400)

> "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > This is in fact only partially true. You can't just extend an
> > > existing
> > > module, like adding another method to class XYZ. You will have to
> > > rewrite the whole library containing the class instead. And
> > > that's
> > > exactly what happens: The teams are rewriting the kits.
> > You can actually. It just involves some fiddling with the linker to
> > duplicate exported symbols. I've done it before, in fact.
>
> Seriously, we ain't no hackers. We want to produce good and working
> code.

Of course, that doesn't make it any less good and working.

> > You could, of course, distribute a patch to PE.
>
> Oh well, how nice is this for an enduser?

Not particularly nice, to be sure. What are the licensing requirements
in PE? Do they allow you to distribute it with your own software? I was
under the impression they did... I remember some Be developer
newsletter article on that very topic. And since the OpenBeOS patch is
simply some software that we've written...
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers.
                -- Pablo Picasso