[openbeos] Re: The world as we know it

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 06:48:05 CEST (+0200)

"Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There's *lots* of cruft in R5. But building R1 on R5, for that very
> reason, ensures that R1 will hardly be cruft-free. Further, you can

Well, cruft in the API is only part of the problem :)

> extend it without having source. Look at the MDR, for instance. We
> had
> no source to anything at all. Yet we managed to extend the system,
> and
> replace part of it with something that is (IMHO) much better. You
> don't

Hey, have you already forgotten that the source of BeMail has been
released for us??

> need to clone everything to make changes. That's the beauty of Be's
> modular architecture.

Come on, you can't just replace the kernel, you can't just replace the
app_server. The kits aren't not that independent, and there is a lot of
private communication going on.

And also, we're over that discussion. We're replacing R5, we're fixing
any bugs we can, and that's exactly what we are doing, better get used
to it.
And who says we can't introduce a new API one week after R1 is out? :-
))

Adios...
   Axel.