[openbeos] Re: The Website

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 7:43:48 +0000

> > The trouble with that structure is that the hyphen may be misinterpreted
> > as creating a compound adjective out of "Haiku" and "computing" and
> > separating the "simplified".  This could be read as, "Haiku computing"
> > "simplified".
> >
> > I'd argue for a structure like "Haiku: Computing Simplified"; minimising
> > the sentence structure as a reflection on the philosophy of the OS.
> > Plus using the colon (grammatically meaning "note what follows") is
> > almost like the scope resolution operator in C++, a half Paamayim
> > Nekudotayim.  :)
>
> Nicely put :), and i now agree.

The colon is probably best (or the "|" that we have at the moment works quite
well), but there needs to be some punctuation between "Computing" and
"Simplified" as the word order is incorrect without any (when saying it aloud,
you must pause between the two words). "Simplified Computing" or "Simplifying
Computing" would be fine from a grammatical point of view but I prefer
"Computing" first to put the emphasis on that. Thus "Haiku: Computing,
Simplified." would probably be OK, as would a full stop or semi-colon between
words.

However I'm not convinced by the value of a "slogan" for Haiku. It's something
that different people respond to differently, in a more positive or negative
way. Just "Haiku" might be too sparse, but something factual that doesn't try
to be too clever would not lead to any objections from anyone (unlike any sort
of slogan), and would help people scanning search results or people who find
the page completely randomly. "Haiku | Free Desktop Operating System" perhaps.
Simple, to the point, and no lexographical equivalent of eye-candy (to start
another flame war ;))

The only reason I started this debate was because the new site had a slogan and
I wasn't keen on it. If the title had been "Haiku | Free Desktop Operating
System" would anyone have cared enough to moan about it? I doubt it, and I
think that's a strong argument for a concise description rather than a slogan.

Simon

ps: Sorry if anyone feels this doesn't belong on this list; but to me it is
both cross-team (admin, marcom, website) and of general interest - the title of
the first page on the Haiku website will be first thing many people read on the
offical site and as such it is important to get it right.

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software