[openbeos] Re: The Website

  • From: ar1000@xxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 03:26:53 -0400

Forums are a better choice than wiki's, IMHO. Or, better yet, email them to a list where answers can be officially generated and placed in the FAQs if appropriate. Wikis are really a poor choice for that sort of thing because it would require knowledgeable people to troll them for questions. Forums are designed for that sort of threaded structure.

I agree — forums are not a proper format for questions and answers. I have started researching OS "customer service" type solutions, which would probably best best as thats what they are designed for. elists are not really user friendly either though.

In regards to what Jorge has said — I agree. I know I have felt that the community has been alienated from the creation of the new site.

Waldemar Wrote:
Yes, a "Login"/"Logout" link would be much better. Gavin, Urias, or
someone else, could you please help us?

This is actually very easy to do. I will go ahead and do it, if no one else already has.

My original question still stands: what is wrong with having the original MediaWiki-powered site become our end user non-wiki website. Again, look at the hula-project, beagle-project, and tango-project.

I feel that the drupal site will not work unless we make navigational and block changes. We need to change the navigational concept of our site. With proper navigational and structural tweaks, drupal could work as a good knowledge base. I would like to give making some of these changes a try. I have been anxious to do this for a while but I don't want to work outside of the community or be unilateral. I want to implement streamlined navigation and clear separation of user and developer content; a "knowledge-base" portion; hide login and participatory features from users unlikely to want to use them; and generate custom layouts for "key" pages such as "Welcome" "About Us" (corp) "Support"

I also propose that it be: Users | Developers | Community | Corporate |

Further, I think that the Marcom team should to a lot of copywriting and content creation/gathering. At least until the primary content of the website has been arranged and created. We need to make efforts to focus on the end user more. Further, we are WAY to terse. Being concise it good, be we are laconic. Again, look at novell's opensource sites.

I think we need to have something for people to see in the interim as our website is undergoing conceptual and content changes. We can't present people with an inconstant experience anymore. I think this is going to take some time and I think that It would be wise to make a temporary HTML placeholder site w/forums or use the wiki w/forums until we can make a complete and polished transition.

- Austin B