[openbeos] Re: ShowImage Bloat

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:17:35 +0000

> >The last few times people have wanted to see some photos I've got in
> >folder, I've used OpenShowImage to do a slideshow of them. So surely
> >that means I'm happy there's a new feature added? Not really. I
> > would
> >much prefer a dedicated app - it seems much more logical to select
> > all
> >the files and open them with "OpenSlideShow" than to open one of
> > them
> >in ShowImage and fight around with the interface oriented towards
> >viewing-one-image-in-a-window to get them to display as a slide
> > show. I
> >maintain that the two tasks of "viewing an image file" and "running
> >slideshow" do not often overlap, and are therefore much better
> > suited
> >to two seperate apps.
>
> I think it is stupid to make 2 applications just for that. Then you
> create redundancy. You would create extra application that contains
> (let us say) 80% of the functionality of another application. This wil
> not create simplicity but confusion? Users will not now what to use....

I don't think it could be more obvious what to use. You want to show a
slideshow - use the app called "SlideShow". You want to view an image -
 use "ShowImage". To me it's less obvious that I can open a single file
using an app called "ShowImage" and from that click a menu item that
displays a slideshow of all the images in the directory the original
file came from.

I don't understand the 80% claim - I suppose you mean the fact that it
loads an image and displays it using the translation kit? It really
doesn't take much code to do that (the translation kit rocks!). A lot
of ShowImage code isn't needed for a slide show app (dragging cuttings
around, saving as different file formats, all the menus, etc). In the
same way, creating a nicer slideshow app would involve a lot of code
not needed for viewing individual images.

> greets
>        Jixt

Simon