[haiku] Re: Ruby no longer works!

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:59:55 -0700

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 10:17:30AM +0100, Simon Taylor wrote:
> On 07/09/2013 02:53, Pete Goodeve wrote:
> >I should also mention that NetPositive doesn't work directly even
> >in that rev.  [NetPositive?! Yep -- For the websites that it still works on
> >-- which are the majority I access regularly, like Google, Wikipedia, and
> >the BBC -- it's many times as fast as even W+. (I just did some timing:
> >BBC -- 3 secs vs 25 to bring up the main page!)  I don't have to wait and
> >fume while all that javascript is sorted out!]
>
> I remember you mentioning how slow Web+ was for you before, and that
> doesn't seem to match up with other people's experience of it. Is
> process controller showing the CPU pegged for all that time? If not then
> I suspect it's not Javascript to blame, but something in your network
> setup that is introducing the lag.

Very odd that others don't seem to notice it, but it definitely seems to be
a function of js.  Of course I don't have a very fast link -- DSL -- so those
with broadband may be much happier.  Also, as you're in the UK [right?]
do you get all the adverts on the BBC pages that are forced on us here
in the US?

I've done a little more research, and I find that a local newspaper site
(also full of js) is just about the same.  (I shouldn't really have included
Wikipedia and Google as they're always pretty fast.)

I switched to BezillaBrowser, which normally has NoScript enabled,
and the BBC comes up in about 6 seconds. If I re-enable scripts, it
stretches to 16-20 secs, but still seems faster than W+.  (I notice that
the router's data light is blinking furiously during pretty much the whole
load time in all cases, so I don't think it's a CPU power problem or anything.
ProcessController pegs at intervals when js is enabled, but I never saw
excessive usage when js is not enabled.)

> I suppose the lack of any caching in Web+ and the probably large amount
> of js/css referenced by the BBC which would not even be downloaded by
> Net+ may have something to do with it too.

That's probably the essence of it.

I tried both Stephan and Adrien's suggestions -- I moved out the cookie
jar (and everything else in the W+ settings actually) temporarily, and also
the ipv6 stuff -- but I couldn't detect any improvement.

        -- Pete --