[haiku] Re: Ruby no longer works!

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 11:24:08 +0200

Hi,

Am 07.09.2013 um 11:17 schrieb Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 07/09/2013 02:53, Pete Goodeve wrote:
>> I should also mention that NetPositive doesn't work directly even
>> in that rev.  [NetPositive?! Yep -- For the websites that it still works on
>> -- which are the majority I access regularly, like Google, Wikipedia, and
>> the BBC -- it's many times as fast as even W+. (I just did some timing:
>> BBC -- 3 secs vs 25 to bring up the main page!)  I don't have to wait and
>> fume while all that javascript is sorted out!]
>
> I remember you mentioning how slow Web+ was for you before, and that doesn't
> seem to match up with other people's experience of it. Is process controller
> showing the CPU pegged for all that time? If not then I suspect it's not
> Javascript to blame, but something in your network setup that is introducing
> the lag

WebPositive does not seem to clean out the cookie jar, or rather cURL doesn't
seem to do it. And with a growing cookie jar, the performance seems to suffer
immensely. So deleting the cookie jar file will make WebPositive quick again. I
think people experience this problem more likely if they keep an installation
for longer, or actually use WebPositive a lot to surf various sites.

At the moment, I am not in Haiku and can't check which file to delete, but
hopefully browsing home/config/settings should make it obvious.

Best regards,
-Stephan