[haiku] Re: Ruby no longer works!

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:23:44 -0700

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 06:28:14PM -0400, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Pete Goodeve
> <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > As ruby is the basis of a lot of my day-to-day utilities, there's no
> > way I can update until this is solved.  Ryan, aren't you using ruby
> > a lot too?  I'll continue digging myself, but I'd appreciate some help.
>
> I use Ruby for work but generally can't use Haiku for my work for
> various reasons.
>
> My efforts to get Ruby going in Haiku have been difficult and it has
> been a while since I tried.
Well, I must say it was working pretty well for me up to this point...! (:-))
(The only consistent glitch was the non-effect of ctrl-C in interactive
mode.)

> One thing I would suggest is that if you are going to try to build
> your own you use the latest 1.9.3, p448 [1] or even try a stab at
> compiling 2.0.0 [2].
Hah! I obviously haven't been keeping up!  wasn't aware there was
a 2.0!  As the haikuporter 1.9.1 version compiles cleanly in my (older)
system, i think I'll stick with that while I try to trace what's wrong,
but I'd better try the upgrade afterward.

> Ruby 1.9.1 was sort of a bad release as I recall, and I'm not sure why
> our optional package has stayed for so long at that version. Maybe
> because trying to port newer versions was difficult?
More likely just that nobody tried.

> The error you are getting sounds like something changed in the Haiku
> pthread API side which the current Ruby optional package is
> incompatible with.
Yes, I've found where the error is reported (in thread_pthread.c as you
might expect...)  I'll put in some traces and try to spot exactly what's
failing.

> If anyone else is motivated, it would be really nice to have newer
> Ruby releases ported and packaged up, ready to use in the new package
> managed Haiku :-D
I'm motivated... (:-/)  I'll see how far I get.

Thanks,

        -- Pete --