[haiku] Re: Ruby no longer works!

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 00:04:55 -0700

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 03:43:00PM +0200, Robert Stiehler wrote:
> Adrien Destugues wrote:
> >
> >http://pulkomandy.tk/drop/HaikuLauncher.zip
> >http://pulkomandy.tk/drop/libbnetapi.so
> >
> >This is a test build of WebKit using the libbnetapi backend. It comes with
> >the HaikuLauncher browser for testing purposes. Could you try this and
> >tell us if it works faster for you ?
> >
> >Note, there are many bugs left in this version, so don't use it for actual
> >web browsing purposes.
> >

> I have the same problem and tested the HaikuLauncher with the
> libnetapi.so and it is !!unbelievable!! much faster :-)

Well, I'm sorry to say that I don't see any noticeable change -- at least
on an initial site access.  It still takes at least 25 secs to completely
load the BBC.  However, if I ask for a reload while HaikuLauncher is
running, it drops to 5-6 secs.  At a guess, I assume that it is caching
where W+ does not?  But if I restart the app, it goes back to the long
time.

I did further tests with Bezilla.  It was ~6 secs again with NoScript enabled,
but this time I then *completely* disabled NoScript, and it too went up to
25+ secs.  Also I think that the BBC may not be quite behaving itself (:-/)
On all the browsers, when experiencing the slow performance, the progress
bar *never* actually completed!  (I did the timing by watching the router
light and by when the page became scrollable.)

So I guess it's just that I have a slower net than most of you folks -- though
it's perfectly fine for video, for example. And it doesn't seem that W+ is
to blame.

Thanks,

        -- Peete --