[haiku] Re: Multi-track recording and compositing

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 23:06:14 +0200

On 2009-06-07 at 00:27:50 [+0200], Cyan <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Stephan -- very exciting news! Is there a list of features for Clockwerk
> anywhere online?

No, not that I know of. The software is certainly not as nice and polished
I as I would love it to be, but you can actually do something with it too
and it's stable AFAICT. It's had some exposure to a couple of different
users, but it was also an "in-house" tool and the workflow could definitely
be improved. In it's current state, it isn't very much "general purpose",
you cannot even tell it where to save projects, and every clip or other
playback object you add will be in one big "database". It does support:

* nested playlists/timelines
* unlimited typeless tracks
* track naming, mute, solo
* separation of imported clips and their timeline instances
* searchable, typed library of imported clips
* animatable properies (mostly just transformation, opacity and volume)
* text objects (text block layouting and on-canvas editing)
* scrolling text (tickers)
* all audio/video formats supported by the Media Kit
* all image formats supported by the Translation Kit
* timeline rendering (not on Haiku yet)
* multi-threaded rendering, playback and project saving
* very basic timeline editing (dragging a single clip with snapping and
  cutting clips)
* horizontal timeline zooming
* alpha compositing (animatable global clip opacity) and alpha channel
  in images
* zoomable/scrollable preview canvas
* playback range, looping, scrubbing
* auto-arranging playlists (slideshow with auto fading)

desperately missing:
* no thumbnails on video clips, yet
* no filter effects whatsoever

Plus there are some remnants of uploading the clip library and playlists to
a server.

> > And I want it to be a Haiku only project.
>
> Does this mean any chance of compiling under R5 will be out of the
> question?

No, definitely not out of the question, just not supported out of the box,
I guess. I just want the build system to be more simple, which is another
way of saying I feel overwhelmed to fix the current one for working on
Haiku as a host platform. I tried several times in the past, but cannot
really find the spots where it's failing. At the same time, I really want
to move forward now with Haiku. I don't run ZETA myself anymore. There are
some things in Haiku now that I definitely don't want to live without
anymore when programming Haiku software. I just don't see the point
anymore, and if I can increase the desire to make Haiku better in some
developers by making this one Haiku exclusive, all the better for the
project. ;-)

Best regards,
-Stephan