[haiku] Re: Multi-track recording and compositing

  • From: "Cyan" <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 10:50:40 +0100 BST

Cian Duffy <myob87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Have I? My audio clipping/quality problems have been on Via and
> Creative cards, as far as I can remember, but in the past I've thrown
> Haiku on a fair few machines to test so I might have...

I think both of these cards operate at 48kHz (is the Via AC'97?),
which will definitely cause serious problems. The issue is the
"drop sample" SRC in the Media Kit Mixer; we need something like a
sinc pulse SRC algorithm, but the existing code structure does not
appear to allow it without re-writing significant parts.

I did a patch to the emuxki driver a while back that enabled 44.1kHz
via timer reprogramming during the ISR, but I'm not sure if that was
ever rolled into the main codebase, or indeed whether it even works
on anything other than the specific SB Live I tested with.

If anyone does have any ideas about improving the resampling in the
Media Kit Mixer, please comment! I sent an e-mail to the list a few
weeks ago concerning dithering/SRC, but there didn't seem to be any
interest. (is this the right place for it?)

I am willing to try implementing a sinc resampler, but in order to do
that there will need to be significant changes to the code structure.
Unfortunately I can't make those changes alone.