[openbeos] Re: Kernel status (POSIX)

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:55:07 -0500

>> What is the status of the kernel=3F
>> Well, it's like this. A couple of weeks back, Travis finished
>> some design changes that he made to the fs design and
>> he has been working on the paging daemon.
>>
>> The OpenBeOS focus has been on drivers. Mostly the
>> ones that everyone forgets about - serial, parallel, mouse,
>> kbd, IDE, CD-ROM, etc. A project plan is forthcoming -
>> I just need to fill it in with names.
>
>How portable is your code=3F I would ask for a moratorium on assembler,
>or at least a fallback to plain C, so that it can be ported to PowerPC.
>For me, at least, and I think for a lot of others, this is very
>important.

Assembler where it absolutely can not be avoided.
That would be places like task switching.
C everywhere else.

I would have some doubts, though, about how portable device drivers are,
in any case. :-)

As far as the whole PPC thing goes, you are not the first person to bring
it up. Personally, I have little interest in trying to figure out, via reverse
engineering, every little quirk that Apple HW engineers have come up with.
If there is a group of people out there who, post-R1, want to take a whack
at that, wonderful. I don't dislike the idea of PPC support. But I do think that
it is a far bigger mouthful than most people think. And to be honest, not
one that inspires me all that much. PPC hw is VASTLY overpriced. Buying
new PPC hardware to run OBOS would be silly. So I would have to assume
that the point would be to get MacConverts. That was FAR easier in the MacOS8
days. :-/