[openbeos] Re: Innovation: Design and Programming

  • From: "Kurtis Kopf" <kurtis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:24:19 -0700

> And you were just all impressed with your mad skillz? (OK, maybe not).
> In economics, they call that a "low barrier to entry". Generally, it
increases competition because more companies can compete for the business. I
think that a low barrier to entry in code is a good thing, too. A similar
program in C is 5 lines long (depending on style) are requires you to learn
to use the compiler, linker and to look at your output on the command line.
Ouch. Other languages aren't much better. And yes, IDEs somewhat alleviate
this (and also make it worse in some ways).

Let's just make the world work right and do it all in PHP =).  Built-in
database functionality, string functionality, class compatability... And I
think a C++ -> PHP converter is very possible, maybe even Java -> PHP and
C->PHP.  The cool thing about PHP (at least for lazy programmers like
myself) is that the compiler won't cut your head off for not passing the
correct type of variable, since all var types are interchangeable, except,
of course, objects.  Collisions may be an issue though, I'm not sure how
namespaces work in PHP.

    -Kurtis