[openbeos] Re: Innovation: Design and Programming

  • From: "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 05:26:47 -0700 (PDT)

> > ...Because I'm looking around (MS Windows platform) and I see that
> > A BUNCH of programmers, don't like C++, they prefer BASIC OR
> > DELPHI!!! (... they are to lazy...:-)
>
> Why would you want lazy developers to write software for you?

Agreed, but before we accept "lazy" as the excuse, let's consider Ada.
Ada is hated by some developers because it is extremely fussy.
However, the fussy nature of the compiler enforces good programming
habits, demands correct code, and often catches far more mistakes than
would a compiler from a language such as C or C++, or even Pascal.
Thus Ada can help to reduce development time and cost by doing a lot
more of the debugging work in the compiler, before the program will
even compile.

So while some developers may hate the fussy nature of Ada, or even
consider it too "wordy," the language is quite superior to most others
in terms of consistency, error-checking, and low development times.

Pascal has some similar properties, to a lesser degree, as compared to
C, C++, etc.  Java is much more type-safe than C and C++, so it is
slightly better in this sense as well.

BASIC certainly has its place, and was my primary language for several
years (QuickBASIC under DOS), though I have transitioned to Pascal now;
I choose to use Pascal instead of C or C++, certainly not because I am
lazy (although I probably am to some degree), but because I recognize
it as a superior language, and because I like programs that actually
work ;-)

Lazy isn't choosing one language over another, but rather quickly
releasing slowly-developed buggy code (M$ is the canonical example
here, of course).

Better a slow Java program with no bugs than a fast Assembler program
that crashes every ten seconds.

=====
=======
Frank D. Engel, Jr.

Modify the equilibrium of the vertically-oriented particle decelerator to
result in the reestablishment of its resistance to counterproductive
atmospheric penetration.

http://search.yahoo.com