[openbeos] Re: Innovation: Design and Programming

  • From: "Adi Oanca" <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 14:04:30 +0300

Hello All!

> The relevant part of all of this to openbeos is this -
>
> Be did very little to make BeOS accesible to other languages. Their answer
> was "write the interpreter/run time environment in C++ and access our code
> that way". And that is a fairly reasonable answer, from the POV that the
> OS was still rapidly mutating. But, looking forward, it is not impossible
> see a future where some of the pieces are slow to change their API. There
> are only so many ways that you can skin a screensaver API, for example. So
> what sort of ways can we make some allowance for other languages?

    I wrote the first email, because I found the subject very interesting...
"Innovation"... this is a word for big companies like Apple, MS,... not for
the open source community. Sorry, this is how I think. When someone has a
great idea, he won't share it for free, but he will contact a company
to sell its idea. I don't say that the open source community lacks
innovation... NO, it doesn't, but it has a small amount from the total.

    Because of the above reason, I think that for a success of an Operating
System, we should "seduce" developers. How? The best answer that I have, is
to offer them BeAPI for *some* programming languages!  Now, I don't think we
should offer for a lots of them... no, I would go for... 2-3.
    No. 1 would be C++ as a well known, and a VERY flexible language,
and No. 2/3, an EASY TO USE programming
language; I would go here, for BASIC and DELPHI/PASCAL. Why do I say that?
...Because I'm looking around (MS Windows platform) and I see that A BUNCH
of programmers, don't like C++, they prefer BASIC OR DELPHI!!! (... they are
to lazy...:-)
    My opinion is that, a success of an OS depends of the development tools
that are available for their API. BeOS only had C++; OR..., MS Windows, has
C++, VB, Delphi,etc. And please look at the number of applications that
require MSVBVM60.DLL !
    Those 2/3 would be enough for a start... then, with time, I bet that
there would be open source initiatives for porting other languages, and... I
hope, not far in the future, a company like Borland would help us with their
suites.

Thanks, Adi.