[openbeos] Re: Icon Design Contest

  • From: Petter Holt Juliussen <post@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 19:16:27 +0200

Stephan Assmus wrote:

I have no experience with putting together real voting pages... I would appreciate some help from experienced web people here. Also getting it onto haiku-os.org would be great.

I offer my PHP experience for this. I'm by no means any expert, but I'm able to do the following you listed:

We need:

* some kind of "anti-cheat" features

This would probably be the hardest part. There's no problem fixing a block for an IP-address to vote more than once etc.. Don't know if thats sufficient security? It's hard to make anything bulletproof, but there's probably someone out there with better expertise than me on this matter.

* option to toggle icon grouping by "size" or "submission"

I'm not _exactly_ sure what you want here. We could make something like your preliminary page, but make it possible to display only 16x16 icons, for example, so it's easy to compare. There's a lot of options here. I'm sure we can work something out

* option to change the background color

No problem. We could have predefined colors as well as userdefined.

* voting with optional comment maybe?

No problem.

It would be great if we had the votig page ready on Haiku-OS.org by September 1st. Is this possible? I will get back to coding now (improving Icon-O-Matic, integrating the new icon rendering, etc).

I can offer to make a sample page now, and if no pro web-programmer and/or security expert shows up, maybe we'll work something out.

Regards, Petter H. Juliussen