[openbeos] Re: ISO-9660 BFS filesystem extension

  • From: "john 'soco' robinson" <soco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 23:58:55 +0100

UDF is the FS used on DVDs and also used
by DirectCD with packet writing to allow a user
to write files one at a time instead of making an
ISO with all their files at once. (this works with
CDR and CDRW) i'm not 100% but i'm pretty
sure this format is also used on the recordable
and rewriteable DVD. All standards DVD movies
use it. it's required. the ones you can read in beos
have an ISO wrapper around them that only points
to the data in the UDF portion.

i'm also about 98% positive it will be the FS
used on Mount Ranier Devices. in other words,
by the time OBOS is usuable, this will be the
format for recordable/rewritable optical media.

it supports "attributes" of sorts built right into
the FS as is. i'm sure that their not really
efficient if they're constantly modified. but they
do exist and the examples given in these
documents are for MacOS and MacOS finder.

you can find some info here with links to the
appropriate standards:

http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/index.html

to my knowledge, DirectCD only supports up to
UDF 1.5 currently. the OSTA documentation
will detail exactly what values should be written
to various fields and what values can be read from
them. (i believe it's in addition to the ECMA
standard)

as of OSTA 2.01 or so BeOS even has it's own
Operating System Class. it's number 8 ;) not that
it really means anything :P

-soco