[openbeos] ISO-9660 BFS filesystem extension

  • From: "Gelatt, Christopher" <gelattc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'bedevtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <bedevtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:02:59 -0600

Hmmm.  Perhaps this isn't the place to propose this, but I'm thinking that
perhaps some extensions to the ISO-9660 specification can be implemented, to
allow for BFS file attributes and filenames in an ISO-9660 track (it's nice
to pop in a CD and have, say, all the audio clips on it have metadata
available in the Tracker).  I know that I could just burn the disc as a BFS
disc, but occasionally, I have to use discs with other operating systems.

The Joliet, Rock Ridge, and HFS extensions have worked quite well for other
operating systems and filesystems, especially since you can create hybrid
CDs with more than one filesystem extension used on the same track.  This
could probably be implemented on the creation side with an mkisofs
modification, and (hopefully) on the client side with a filesystem plugin,
preferably to have BeOS recognize these extensions as native BFS
partitions/tracks.

Regards,
--Chris Gelatt