[haiku] Re: GSoC: Writing native interfaces for ported applications

  • From: Christopher Humphries <redeye4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 01:50:28 +0200

I don't know if update notifications are sent out, but I've updated my
proposal after some more in-depth documentation and code reading. It's still
vague, but I'm getting the general idea, and the Media Kit really is
fascinating.

I'm still at a loss with the DVD libraries. There are several choices, among
which are libdvdcss, which looks simple, but maybe too simple, and
libdvdnav, which lacks documentation, but their website provides some good
data on DVD format.

Streaming looks deceptively straightforward; a matter of giving Media Kit
the possibility to ignore the lack of file navigation support, though I'm
not sure how to deal with the actual network part.

As for code contributions, I posted some ideas on the Trac (
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1503#comment:2), and as I think I've found
where to load volume on file load and store on file change, I'm currently
experimenting with file attributes.