[haiku] Re: GSoC: Writing native interfaces for ported applications

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:25:17 -0700

Stephan Assmus wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:50:23 +0100
> > I know is may not be interface related, but adding the ability to play DVDs
> > in the Haiku MediaPlayer would be an addition that many people would be
> > grateful for, including myself. ;)
>
> Definitely non-trivial, though, even with something as libdvdplay as backend.
> Would make a great GSoC project in itself. Non-trivial because it touches so
> many frameworks, unless DVD playback is implemented local to the MediaPlayer
> (which I personally wouldn't mind as the initial implementation, since I
> don't really see the benefit of DVD playback in Clockwerk).

Non-trivial but highly desirable nonetheless. :) IIRC, the Haiku MediaPlayer
(or is it the Media Kit?) does not support streaming. I don't know if this
would qualify as a GSoC project, but it is IMO another area that would be nice
if it got some love.

Personally, I would like to see GSoC geared towards advancing the development
of native frameworks and/or applications, rather than ports, but I digress. :)

Cheers,

Jorge / aka Koki