[haiku] Re: GSoC: Writing native interfaces for ported applications

  • From: Christopher Humphries <redeye4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:56:25 +0100

To be honest I'm cheating a bit here, as I already have some experience with
the Qt interface for VLC. Last year's requirements were to hack around with
the interfaces and integrate coverflow somewhere in there.

I'm pretty interested in user interface technologies, and for now
my favourite is Qt, but Haiku seems to offer a fresh perspective on a lot of
aspects, and the interface kit feels inspiring.

I hope that if I design some full interfaces, while I learn about the kit,
I'll be able to actually make some interesting suggestions and contributions
to it, and therefore improve the general project.

I would actually prefer using the 1.x branch of VLC, and if there's time,
using the Media Kit really would be nice. I think Haiku really does deserve
a native feeling player, as it really is a core application to a general
operating system.

As far as I understand, Transmission doesn't have a graphical interface yet,
so that would be a welcome addition too.

I'm actually really interested in other interface related ideas, such as
WebPositive, and writing a central IM client using the IM Kit, though the
former will probably be in high demand, the latter looks like it's. Also I'm
talking off-topic here...

Cheers,

Engleek