[haiku] Re: Firefox 3+ for Haiku

  • From: Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:28:51 +0100

> What is the status/progress on the WebKit port and the browser anyway?

As for the browser we won't go forward until the WebKit port is usable
and quite stable (maybe the tab handling can be done though).

Concerning WebKit, I'm trying to keep it updated. I synchronize our
gitorious repo with the official tree once or twice a week. But, even
so, I'm stuck on a tiny thing since two week (and I don't see why it fails).

The two "main" problems are still present:

- when a webpage contains javascript it fails to load
(that's hard to debug because when debug is on, it works).

- the scrolling isn't correctly handled.

So I think that would be a great idea to have a more recent version
of Firefox in Haiku. And as Ryan said, if the one who port it can share
there experience it may be useful for us.

As for Arora, it's a good light browser but it requires Qt. I don't say
it's bad, but I'm not really sure that we really want to have it in Haiku
as default.

Bye,
--
Maxime