[haiku] Re: Firefox 3+ for Haiku

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:56:55 +0100

On 2010-01-24 at 11:28:51 [+0100], Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > What is the status/progress on the WebKit port and the browser anyway?
> >

> As for the browser we won't go forward until the WebKit port is usable
> and quite stable (maybe the tab handling can be done though).
>
> Concerning WebKit, I'm trying to keep it updated. I synchronize our
> gitorious repo with the official tree once or twice a week. But, even so,
> I'm stuck on a tiny thing since two week (and I don't see why it fails).
>
> The two "main" problems are still present:
>
> - when a webpage contains javascript it fails to load
> (that's hard to debug because when debug is on, it works).
>
> - the scrolling isn't correctly handled.
>
> So I think that would be a great idea to have a more recent version of
> Firefox in Haiku. And as Ryan said, if the one who port it can share
> there experience it may be useful for us.

To me, it looks like getting an up-2-date Firefox port is still quite a lot
of work. I've worked on cairo the last two days, and am currently stuck
because I am so clueless with regards to Makefiles. I've completely redone
the BeOS backend and was going to run the tests, but the boilerplate
executable doesn't link. I know which libs it needs, but trying to find the
error in the Makefile is daunting, mostly because there are multiple places
which seem the likely place to apply a fix, but the result is always the
same (i.e. no effect). :-(

> As for Arora, it's a good light browser but it requires Qt. I don't say
> it's bad, but I'm not really sure that we really want to have it in Haiku
> as default.

I've tried to checkout the Qt repository from OsDrawer.net, but that just
gives me a weird error. Checking out other repos (I tested Clockwerk)
worked. I would like to study the Qt port a bit and possibly help out. I am
wondering if it uses the BControlLook class in the style implementation, it
doesn't seem to be the case, but from what I can tall, this should go a
long way in making it at least look 100% native, but I have no idea if it's
even possible to use it (i.e. if the port uses one BView per QWidget).

Another thing I've tried was to compile the Haiku WebKit port. I haven't
got very far. It looks like I am missing some files in the tree. At least
WebCore/bridge/Bridge.cpp. Does that ring a bell? And a lot of files don't
find the include "JSCBridge.h". Maybe the Haiku port Jamfiles are not
up-2-date with regards to include paths? I located the header, it's just
not found.

If you can help me get up to speed, I'd certainly like to try and help move
this forward.

Best regards,
-Stephan